BusinessObjects Board

What will be the best choice ALIAS or CONTEXT

Hi Guys,

I have the following joins between the tables and it gave me 9 loops, i would really appreciate if you caould help me solve this.

i am working on a very big universe and a complex one too, what would you recommend Alias or Context for the said problem, and if so, how should i do it.

B.SEGMNT2_IDN = A.ACCOUNT_IDN
AND A.ACCOUNT_KEY >= I.AFF_ACCOUNT_LOW
AND A.ACCOUNT_KEY <= I.AFF_ACCOUNT_HIGH
AND B.SEGMNT3_IDN = C.CENTER_IDN
AND B.SEGMNT3_IDN <= I.AFF_CENTER_HIGH
AND B.SEGMNT5_IDN = M.MODALITY_IDN
AND C.CENTER_KEY >= I.AFF_CENTER_LOW
AND M.MODALITY_KEY = I.AFF_MODALITY

hope the above is clear,
your quick response will be highly appreciated.

wasy.

wasy.wasu :us: (BOB member since 2006-09-18)

I’ve split this into it’s own topic.

You have not been clear at all with this problem. The papers and FAQs tell you what to do. You build contexts around fact tables and aliases when dimensions play multiple roles. You may simply be in need of a shortcut join.

In my opinion, simply giving us a list of joins does not give us enough information to make the decision for you.

Do you have other contexts in the universe. If not, then adding 1 will mean you’ll need to add others.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

And I’m going to go ahead and lock this topic because wasy.wasu created a duplicate topic to which Dave suggested to read our “sticky” and post a follow-up there if s/he needed further clarification, rather than have yet another topic.

Please do not cross-post. It leads to fragmented discussions and is against our forum rules.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)