BusinessObjects Board

What does BO do in the background?

[Edit: Moved from the BODUTCH User Group forum to the Reporter forum - AMC]

I am new at using BO. I have always used Oracle Reports. My client has a BO report that takes 5 min for one page to display. On checking the report I noticed that the data is collected form Oracle database in 20 sec. I would like to know what BO does in the rest of the time. Someone told me that each query in BO is first parsed through the univers each time. The univers has 6000 objects in it. They droped two databases into the univers. Is there any site where I could get info on how BO processes a report, step by step what it does?

There are three BO developers at the company but none of them can tell me what BO does in the background.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

monray (BOB member since 2005-07-29)

Please, take a look at this FAQ Reporter entry: Why is my report so slow?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Thanks for the reply Andreas, but the link was mainly for Oracle problems. My Oracle data collection is fine, the problem is that BO is doing things with the retrieved data but I am not sure what. It seams strange that it needs 5 min to display the data that it took Oracle 20 sec to retrieve.

monray (BOB member since 2005-07-29)

Are you using multiple linked data providers?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Do you have many variables defined on the report which are performaing calculations…

If you do, this could be one reason why the report is displaying it slowly!! Offcourse if there are multiple data providers then these would be run sequentially!!

Prateek Shah :india: (BOB member since 2005-07-24)