BusinessObjects Board

Weird usability issues

Hi again,
I am going to describe couple of many daily pissing-off situations(that screw up my working days with interrupting project estimates etc) with Data Services Designer:
I have a central repository and some objects in it. When I try to check out a workflow with its dependents, DI starts to yell that I do not have dependent object DATASTORE.SOMETABLE in my local repo. Ok, I imported it from database and then tried again. The same message again, nothing helps…
Does anybody know, why that [expletive] is happening and what does it mean?

The other situation that pissed me off was this:
I had a local repo and I was developing my dataflows and workflows there. Then i tried to check out one workflow with its dependents from the central repo. It was doing something for a while and then suddenly DI crashed(it was only with one particular workflow). And it crashed and crashed again, so I made a new local repo for myself. After that, everything worked.

I didn’t find a possibility to view references of each object separately("View where used"is only for dataflows)… maybe it should be a good feature request for a DI dev team or who knows…

Another thing that I encountered: when I have a datastore and I delete it, I cannot make a new datastore with such name any more. This also sucks. So I had to dive into these repository tables and digg in these deep tables to find the definition of this datastore. I changed it to XXX and when I logged into my repository with DI, It claimed about missing datastore ([expletive] , why is it missing if I DELETED it?!), but it did not interrupt my normal working any more.

bobmeediake :estonia: (BOB member since 2008-12-01)

I’ve edited your post to remove the expletives.

Please help keep BOB friendly! Review this topic for some suggestions, thanks.

dnewton :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-30)

Regarding #1 - I don’t know why DS would complain – if you’re getting a wf plus all dependents, you should be fine. The only problem would be is if some other user than you had a dependent dataflow or table already checked out. You could try doing a “get latest from repo” for the object and all descendents, and then try doing the checkout.

Regarding #2 - It sounds like you had corruption in your local repo. Maybe this is also the cause of #1. You are not sharing your local repo with anyone else, correct?

Regarding #3 - If you edit data in the repository tables, you do so at your own risk. Datastore names can’t be changed, at the moment, without some hack approaches, so it’s best to just wipe clean your repository and start over. And not try to change datastore names – think about the name up-front and know that it’s fixed/permanent.

And also another weird thing I discovered: when I have an SQL transform and some tricky SQL in it and this transform is associated with some datastore, then without datastore existence this transform somehow looses the SQL code in it. Its weird, I deleted the datastore that was associated with this SQL transform and the transform lost all the tricky SQL code in it… I’d expect that if the datastore does not exist any more, then the SQL transform should still keep the SQL code in it…

And I also got the solution for “View where used” issue: when I click “Export” on particular workflow, then this export-window shows all dependencies :slight_smile:

bobmeediake :estonia: (BOB member since 2008-12-01)

I do think it’s possible you’re introducing some of these problems yourself. If you have dataflows in your repo referencing a datastore, and go and delete that datastore (despite the warnings that it is in use), then any dataflows referencing it are going to get ruined. These components are not so abstract that they can “survive” whole chunks of them going missing.