BusinessObjects Board

Weird report changes

hi
all

i have like 20 -30 reports in my WEbi environment those were existing from one year all the reports were running fine but all of a sudden
i see in all reports one of my dimension lets say’ A ’ object was replaced with the measure object ‘B’ in all my reports .

all reports which are using the dimension ‘A’ was replaced by measure ‘B’

i dont know how did this happen can any one please explain why this has happend.
please help me out . :hb:

Iam using WEBI xir2

thanks
pavan.

dpavank2007 (BOB member since 2007-05-24)

Sounds like changes were made to the universe, but the changes weren’t made to the most recent version.

Let’s say an object was added to the universe with internal ID xyz (your dimension) … exported to production … all is fine. Now someone else makes a universe change, but doesn’t use the most recent version as the starting point. They add an object (the measure), and it gets the same internal ID xyz. Existing reports with an existing universe use the internal ID to match up the objects.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

measure object which has replaced the dimension was done recently which is direct mapping of the data base field.
the dimension iam talking about exists from long back about 2 years and in the mean time we have done lot of migration too.why did this happen recently and can you please clarify how this internal id works.

and can any suggest how to revert it back to original ,i am having like 100s of reports which this scenario applies.

thanks
pavan.

The internal ID workings are a bit of a black box, I’m afraid. Reports always pick up the current universe definition, and it “finds” the object based on the internal ID, not by class / object name. As long as it’s the “same” universe, that is. If you point a data provider to another universe, it does use the class / object name. You might be able to use that to your advantage. Make a copy of the existing universe, by doing a File, Save As… in Designer. Now point the data provider to the new universe, then point the data provider back to the original universe, and cross your fingers. Hopefully this will realign the objects based on the name.

HI
Sorry guys to get back to so late

i have one more question regarding this how can we get the internal id of the objects is there any way to look at them and compare after we make any changes to universe.

please let me know.

thanks
pavan.

Using the SDK, there is a hidden property (cleverly called .ID) for classes and objects. I purposely left that property out of this utility … Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK … because it was hidden, but the utility should demonstrate how you can get to that property for yourself.

HI
Dwayne Hoffpauir

i have that utility already but it is not demonstrating how to generate the internal ids or generating the internal ids for objects

can you help me how should get the internal id for each object in that excel sheet

thanks
pavan.

Correct, I already said that I excluded it on purpose.

Add the following line to the ListObjects procedure…

Rng(RowNum, 21) = Obj.ID