BusinessObjects Board

Webi report takes time to open / refresh

Hi All,

I have a webi report which is built based on the End user computing document which was in excel, which performs the What If analysis for a number of metric. The webi report is built on 3.1. The problem is that the report performance is not good as it is going to be used as a on-demand report.

The report have a column Z which shows values like High,Low,Medium. but this row value is shown based on the current value or if a user has entered the prompt then it is going to be based on the Prompt value. SO this is the What if part where the user can enter the value for the various metric shown on the report and they can then see the Impact of that metric on the product.

for eg :
Metric Current value Current Imapct What if Value What if impact
AA 2 Low 15 High
BB 10 Medium 4 Low

So now to calculate the What if Impact I need to take the What if Value i.e 15 and find the score, score drop and overall drop percentage and based on the overall percentage I will then say that it is High,Low or Medium. The score, score drop and overall percentage are calculated in variables in the report level. Now these have formulas which use the Exp , Log and it is calculated vertical and then horizontally across the table. So its like we find the score for each row, then to find the score drop for row 1 we need to get the sum of all rows for Score and then do the Exp of it .

So there are lot of calculation and variables in the report, the report gets slow in development and also on refresh and updating the promtps.
Is there any thing that can be done at the report level to improve the report performance ?
Please let me know if this all made sense as I have trying to improve this report since 2 weeks nows and have run out of options.

pateld (BOB member since 2013-02-04)

what are your data source(s) like?

erik.stenson :us: (BOB member since 2012-07-30)

The data source is Oracle 11g and the same query from the report takes less than a sec to retrieve data on database. It is the report that has a lot of variables which use Exp , log, Sqrt operations. It takes a long time to open / make any change / refresh. As while refresh the msg Processing the document shows up for only a couple of seconds and then the msg Retrieving the document … is shown on the screen for long time like more than 25 mins before the results are updated.

Is there any way to check if it is the SP3 webi server that is not able to handle the load ?

Please any help is appreciated.

pateld (BOB member since 2013-02-04)

Is that all the queries results or a partial result set? Usually Toad only returns the top n rows.

Your admin should be able to help you look at the load on the server when you are interacting with the report. More RAM may help if the server is poorly specified in the terms of memory.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Memory+Management+and+Sizing+of+the+Web+Intelligence+Report+Server+in+SAP+Business+Objects+Enterprise+3.1

The issue you are facing here is you are expecting the Webi server to do all the “heavy lifting”. These sorts of operations are best performed by the database in the terms of pre-canned ETL.

There are other things you can do, but the above is the key one, see below:-

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)