BusinessObjects Board

WebI Refresh vs NoRefresh on Open

Question regarding the prompts/criteria screens. The problem is with the materialization of the prompt/criteria screen within Web Intelligence.

Scenario 1
Report with refresh upon open and 12 data providers and 14
prompts. The prompt screen takes an average of 1 minute and a half to
materialize.

Scenario 2
Same report published without refresh upon open - 12 data providers and 14 prompts. The report materializes within 5 to 10 seconds and after hitting refresh, the criteria screen materializes in about 10 seconds.

Both reports are published with the LOVā€™s being exported with universe
(no query running) and no data in the data providers. We do purge all
data prior to exporting.

Does anyone know of some reason we are experiencing such significant time difference in receiving a prompt screen based on the different
scenarios? Is there some switch we need to set? We have tried many
options within the report, designer, and supervisor. One option given
to us was enabling/disabling the ā€œDo not generate SQLā€. We tried this
with both enable and disable set with no difference to the prompt
screen.

Any help you could provide us would be very appreciated.

Thank you! :wave:

Jean Baumgarten :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-16)

So, it sounds like the only difference was whether or not the report refreshed manually or automatically, correct?

Same userid in both cases?

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

That is correct. The same userid and same report.

When the report is set to ā€˜Refresh on Openā€™ the prompt/criteria screen take about 1 and 1/2 minutes to materialize.

When the report is NOT set to ā€˜Refresh on Openā€™, the empty report materializes in about 4 - 8 seconds. When the user clicks on ā€˜Refreshā€™, the prompt/criteria screen materializes in 10 - 15 seconds.

Thank you!

Hmmmm. Intriguing!! I was going to point you hereā€¦and you may want to look at that thread as a potential source of infoā€¦but Iā€™ve just never heard that refresh on open was a pivotal factor in prompt display performance :nonod: . I am definitely going to mark this thread and do some testing when I get back to work. We have some reports that refresh on open and have had the occasional complaint about slow prompt display but Iā€™ve never studied whether refresh on open was a key! Our server has had some recently remedied speed issues so now is a good time to take a look. Please keep me posted on anything you find. Have you spoken with techsupport? Youā€™ve got a great caseā€¦assuming they can duplicate it in their environment. :yesnod: In fact, please do look at the thread I referenced and see if any of the info is applicableā€¦and do post back :yesnod: . Great thread!

Thanks for the information. I will check out the link. We have found that the more prompts and data providers you have the longer the prompt screen takes to materialize on WebI.

Bus Objs already knows about this issue, but we are not (at this time) able to cut the prompts and data providers down.

Thank you!
Jean Baumgarten. 8)

I agree about the more the slower. I think if you open the report in full clientā€¦with and without autorefreshā€¦youā€™d find out some interesting info. That thread talks about the updatingā€¦updatingā€¦updating messages. When Webi refreshes a FC doc, it is basically running busobj.exe and doing the things youā€™d do manually. Youā€™d see what is happening by doing the same things in FC.

And, I wouldnā€™t consider being convinced to try a workaround until someone explained to me WHY it is slower one way and not the other. From what youā€™ve saidā€¦if autorefresh is the only differenceā€¦it sounds pretty strange.

Try it in FC and post back! :yesnod:

Oh, and Hello and Welcome :mrgreen: :wink:

I have read all of the related threads about prompts in WebI InfoView. I have even made the recommended changes to settings in Supervisor. My issue is that the initial prompt display still takes 8 seconds when the user clicks the refresh button. Subsequent refreshes while the document is still open only takes 1-3 seconds.

When I simulate the initial refresh in full client on the server, it only takes 3 seconds. How can I speed up the peformance of the prompt display for the initial refresh? Most of our prompts do not have LOV associated with them and those that do are not refreshed on opening.

Anybody have any ideas? We are on Web 2.7.2, using FC reports with purged dpā€™s, and the reports are cached in the storage directory. Our only performance issue now is with the prompts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Penny :roll_eyes:

PennyS (BOB member since 2003-05-12)

Did you see this thread?

Yes, Iā€™ve completely read through this thread you have suggested. Thank you.

PennyS (BOB member since 2003-05-12)

Sorry to open up old wounds but we have the same problem!! Iā€™ve tried all the suggestions in the excellent link Cindy supplied on a ā€˜testā€™ user but to no avail :confused:

Could it be because we have Row Restrictions applied to the relevant universes in Stuporvisor?

Thanks for any help

Charles

daviescm (BOB member since 2003-07-28)

Have you verified the report was published after the universes(s) its based on, and that all data providers and prompts had their SQL refreshed based on the newest universe?

Under the covers, WebI will try to recreate the SQL statements if the universe was published later than a report based on it. Data provider and prompt SQL statements.

What we do after making a universe change is to then republish all standard reports based on it by importing each report, refreshing each prompt and running the report. We then purge the data from each data provider and publish the report back to the repository. Since the report and prompt SQL is now up to date with the latest universe, WebI wonā€™t try to generate them all again and again every time the report is run. Note older versions of WebI are horrible at this process, and can easily take >1 with numerous prompts and data providers.

I think 2.7.3 or 2.7.4 improved this process a little bit, but not sure how much (look at the readme files if you want more info).

Good luck.

craigpeters :us: (BOB member since 2003-05-09)