BusinessObjects Board

Visual Basic + Business Objects

Dear All,

Can somebody explain the procedure to access Business Objects from Visual Basic (not VB macros in Business Objects)? I want to create a Visual Basic application (VB Form) through which I can browse to a folder in the machine (which contains BO reports) and create a excel file which contains the name of the reports and the data-providers and the objects used in each of the report in the folder.
My Business Objects version - 5.1.5
Visual Basic 6.0

I could find the code to achieve the same using VB macro from a BO report, in this forum itself. But I am not able to find the code to achieve the same from VB to Business Objects.

I have gone through the SDK documentation. They all explain VB macro stuff only.

Any kind of inputs will be of great help.

Please note that in Visual Basic References (Menu -> Project -> References), I checked the following references :
BusinessObjects 5.1 Object Library
BusinessObjects Designer 5.1 Object Library
BusinessObjectsCtl Type Library

Is there something else that I should do (other than the coding part)?

Best Regards,
Mark

BOXI_Learner :india: (BOB member since 2004-10-08)

First, all you need is the Business Objects library. Designer and ctl are not needed.

Second, if your goal is to get the information to Excel, then use Excel. No need to complicate things with stand-alone VB. Set the same reference to the Business Objects library in Excel, and off you go!

Third, there is already a utility located here that does essentially the same thing that you are asking. It is a Business Objects document, but the results could be “saved as Excel” if you like. In any case, the code there may serve as an outline for you.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks Dwayne for your code and reply.

I had already seen the utility that you posted and customized it to my need. It was working perfect. But my requirement is to do it through stand alone VB. I had seen my colleague doing it some four years back, but I am not able to get in touch with him now.

That’s why I posted here hoping that somebody over here knows it.

Best Regards,
Mark

BOXI_Learner :india: (BOB member since 2004-10-08)

If you set the reference to the Business Objects library, you should be good to go. The code in the utility should serve as a good roadmap. Just add a folder browse function at the front, and a “save as Excel” step at the end. What is the issue?

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)