BusinessObjects Board

Version 6 - hand up who knows what

I’v read a few things about version 6 and 2003. Does anyone have anything concrete on this? Features, fixes, cool things and eta?

cheers, Nick

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I know it’s not out yet. :wink:

Seriously, one of the things I would be interested in hearing is if / when it’s going to “beta”. I know beta testers have to sign non-disclosure statements, but still would be nice.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

What kind of major changes could they implement? Resizable formula editor boxes perhaps??

jcaparula (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

From version 3 to version 4 they made major changes to the repository structure. That allowed them to set up quite a few new features. There is a lot of speculation - and that’s all it is, I’m sure :wink: - that repository changes are in store for V6 as well.

That opens up a whole bunch of avenues for enhancements if they are going to do that…

I should point out that even though Integra Solutions is a partner, we don’t get any advance noticed of planned product directions. We generally are not even allowed to participate in the beta. :blue: So everything I say in this thread is pure speculation. :smiley:

Dave

We’ve already started a Wishlist! Feel free to add to it!

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Oh Oh Oh! You need to check out our wish list thread. We’ve been dreaming about what we’d all like to see BO enhance. Post your thoughts on the Product Wish List !

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

So are beta sites chosen by BO or can you ask to be a beta site? The repos changes are certain (he speculated :wink: ) as even from 4 to 5 there were a few bits and bats. Hopefully they’ll build in indexes this time round - off to check the wish list…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

It could also open up an opportunity to change the licensing structure. Any speculation?

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Hey Chris, check out my thoughts on that area in the “wish list” topic… there’s a couple of links earlier in this topic. :lol:

I think it’s clear with the focus on Analytics and Set Analyzer that BusObj is trying to become the next, well, “big” something. They’re moving way beyond a reporting tool company at this point. I just hope they don’t forget their roots while they’re doing it. They’re still one of the best plays around, in my opinion. I hope they don’t mess it up.

Even Microsoft still sells operating systems… 8)

Dave

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

A few months ago we had a discussion on the listserv about how the new repository structure could require all users to authenticate. maybe even as zabo users. thus the change in licensing (all users would then be considered full client/zabo users) … I did a quick search on the listserv but couldn’t find it … wondering how far bobj took this?

Also curious on your thoughts about BQuery and why it’s on it’s last legs?

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

The BO rep sai dthat webi report creating will/should be able to handle multiple data providers. That would be nice.

DougFMR (BOB member since 2002-06-24)

Ask your BO rep about CADENZA features. That’s the code name for the new WebI reporting engine.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

If they follow through on all of the rumors regarding Excel integration, why bother supporting / upgrading a product that nobody understands how to sell anyway? :slight_smile: The sole advantage for BQuery was the fact that your reporting “engine” was Excel, while your data acquisition engine was BusinessObjects. But try to get a sales rep to explain the licensing and product features and watch a lot of head scratching happen…

Hadn’t heard that BQuery was on it’s last legs. It makes sense, though since it doesn’t sell very often.

However, I would be surprised if BQ MD goes away. It is pretty nice when going against OLAP sources.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

On top of all these it is going to be pretty good with LDAP right

gowthaman (BOB member since 2002-08-15)