BusinessObjects Board

VBA to associate report to universe

We have a single report we want to connect to one of five Universes. The Universes are the same, but they point to separate databases (same scheme, different data – Eastern Division, Western Division, Southern Division…). I was going to create some VBA script that will provide the user with a listbox populated with Universes the report can connect to. The only problem is there isn’t a way to associate a report to a set of Universes.

My first thought is to add a new parameter to the Universe called ‘Subject’. Set this parameter to a specific subject matter value. When a report writer creates a report, they’re required to update the report ‘Subject’ property that will match a Universe ‘Subject’ parameter.

InventoryReport.rep – (Subject = ‘Inventory’)

Universe
EasternUniverse.unv – (Subject = ‘Inventory’)
FarWestUniverse.unv – (Subject = ‘Inventory’)
SouthernUniverse.unv – (Subject = ‘Inventory’)
WesternUniverse.unv – (Subject = ‘Inventory’)
EasternUniverse.unv – (Subject = ‘AR’)
FarWestUniverse.unv – (Subject = ‘AR’)
SouthernUniverse.unv – (Subject = ‘AR’)
WesternUniverse.unv – (Subject = ‘AR’)

Finally to my question, do you if/how you can get a Universe Parameter out of Business Objects via VBA?

Thank you,
Gary

GaryV (BOB member since 2004-03-29)

Gary: This sample from BOB’s Downloads area includes code that can be used to switch a document from one universe to another. It even includes (if I remember correctly) a form that allows the user to select which universe. While it’s not exactly what you describe, it seems to me that it is very close. 8) You might try giving it a look and see if it helps you get started.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

has anyone done this for XIR2 yet?

maverick976 :us: (BOB member since 2004-07-06)