BusinessObjects Board

VBA Forms in Infoview/CMC

Hi,

I have a report which needs a prompt level validation. So I had to design my own form in VBA and add the validation and feed them to the prompts, which I am able to do. My users actually view the reports thro Infoview. When I export them to repository,run it thro CMC/Infoview I am not showed the form which I developed but the normal prompts.

What should I be doing to bring up the forms to the Infoview users. Is this possible?

Regards
Srivaths

bo27198111 (BOB member since 2008-05-26)

You cannot have interactive VBA forms and run the same in Infoview,it only runs in full client DeskI in interactive mode.

Maybe a WebI report can have such a thing using ASP/JSP

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Thanks for the reply. But what is the usual workaround people take up when they need prompt level validation?

Then Why do they still suggest to use VBA forms when it does not get popped up?

One more thing, using VBA macro can I still validate the prompts feed to the reports and alert the user with proper message, if VBA form wont be thro Infoview, but VBA macros can?

Regards
Srivaths

*edited @ 8.06SST

I would say to try and manipulate the prompts in universe itself.
What is the validation you have done?

If it is suggested, then it may not necessarily work anywhere you desire :mrgreen:
Even in full client as I said above, the forms will only work in interactive mode and not when scheduled.

P.S. VBA macros will work but with limitations (only afterdocumentrefresh() event) and nothing interactive again.

My validation is quite simple. Three prompts. Either or Prompts actually. User will input Prompt1 or (Prompt2 and prompt3). And needs some basic validation with dates(like less than today, gr8er than from date) etc. I am able to give them inside Universe but the thing is I am not able to convey the same to user.

And not able to leave the prompts blank.

Was previously working with Oracle Reports. Felt good with these stuff in that tool.

Regards
Srivaths

For the prompts to be left blank or choosing either of the three, you can go in for the ‘ALL’ keyword passed to the prompt which actually gets data for all values. Read the syntax for ALL and All in LOV

The date validations which is already in place within the universe should be enough for you.
The problem to convey the same to user would have been same with VB forms too. Or is the user not smart enough to read the prompt text and different combinations of prompts.

I am using the ALL logic only. But can we really make a prompt blank?

With the VBA forms I could convey to the user what I should be, like validation , range check etc. But with normal prompts, I think we wont be able to.

Any idea, why its missing in BO?

Regards
Srivaths

No you cannot keep a prompt blank and still run report.

Can you not convey the same through prompt text message?

What is missing you mean?

Hmm I hope you are mentioning about the Prompt Display message. If thats so its yes.

I am clear now.

The validation of prompt, user feeds etc , dont you feel its tough in BO. With my experience, with Oracle reports these things can be achieved in minutes. (Has its own -ve, and +ve like the runtime has to be installed in each machine.)

Anyway thanks for the information you have given.

Regards
Srivaths

I have also worked on Oracle reports for sometime and dont see any advantages it scores over BOBJ (not comparing both tools as each has their own merits)
Can you give a sample prompt creation in both and tell how its more flexible in Oracle than in BOBJ!!

I believe there is Parameter form in that tool from which you can capture your prompts, which ever way you want and validate it there itself.

In BOBJ too the same prompt condition(flexible enough) created in universe designer can be used in multiple places.
Though we cannot compare them but since you are new to BOBJ and used to oracle reports, you will find it easy to use.