BusinessObjects Board

Using todays date in prompt for a scheuled report

Hello,

I need my report to use todays date for a prompt for a scheduled report in BI4.

any suggestions on how to do this?

Mrz193 (BOB member since 2016-04-28)

Look into magic dates.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

If it’s always going to be today’s date, then why do you need a prompt? Just use the variable currentdate() in your report.

Or do you mean you need it as a default value for the prompt?

mikeil (BOB member since 2015-02-18)

I need it as a default value. I need to bring back U Mature date less than or equal to TODAY’S DATE
Capture.JPG

Mrz193 (BOB member since 2016-04-28)

Do you have any date variables available in your universe?

Could you not let everything through, and then filter during the report phase against the currentdate() variable?

Why use a variable when you can restricted the data at the query level?

Better to create an object called Today, as per this sticky thread in the Semantic Layer forum, then use it in the query conditions to build the logic required.

Just in case a quick solution was wanted.

We don’t all have the luxury of a rapid response from tech support.

Perish the thought of tech support owning the universe. :shock:

The ability to set a default value in a prompt at run-time is one of the most-important unfulfilled features at this point, at least in my opinion. To make it work, it really needs to be an @function that is processed via the semantic layer engine.

You can create an object called “Today” and in your report use that as a condition. That solves the scheduling part of the question but breaks the interactive need to answer a prompt.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

What would be even nicer would be to determine whether a prompt is activated via ad hoc running or scheduled running - use the Today variable for scheduled and a prompt for ad hoc.

An optional prompt with a formula-based dynamic default value gets us most of the way there.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Completely agree Joe.

Nothing worse than having to create a separate copy of the report so you’ve got scheduled and ad-hoc versions of the same report to maintain.