BusinessObjects Board

Using the search functionality in this forum

Hi,

Slightly off topic this one but I’m finding it really annoying.
When I try and search the forum for something, say I want to see if there’s any posts for scheduling on business hours only. In the search I type ‘schedule business hours’ and I’m told that:
Keywords Used: schedule
Keywords Stopped: business hours

I really don’t understand this, why does it do this? Why will it not allow me to search for what I want?

chesl73 (BOB member since 2008-05-15)

[Moderator Note: Moving to About BOB - Jansi]

These links may help you.
https://bobj-board.org/t/16681
https://bobj-board.org/t/111045

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

We are considering lifting the block on certain search terms to see what the impact is. In order to do that, we will have to take BOB offline for about eight hours in order to rebuild the search index.

If everyone can please post when their project deadlines are, we will be sure to do this at the worst possible time.

Just kidding, of course. :wink: When we do this, it will be on a Saturday evening when our activity level is the lowest, and there will be an announcement made with hopefully at least a week notice.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks for the info.
I understand your problem but a forum without decent search facilities will become pretty useless as it expands and it’ll get worse because users will not be able to find what they’re after and will therefore just enter a new post for the same stuff which in turn will never be found due to the lack of decent searching and this will carry on as a vicious circle.

chesl73 (BOB member since 2008-05-15)

chesl73,

I understand the search function is not so good on BOB at this moment. So i use google search instead, for example like this :“site:forumtopics.com schedule business hours”.

When i google for this keyword it shows your post at the top of results because the whole string is matching.

I hope this helps.

Viru

viru4808 :australia: (BOB member since 2008-01-09)

How did the weekend work go? There should be less ‘stop’ words now, or…?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Nick (and others) please see here for details.

chesl73, the main problem is that people want to search for “universe report” or something like that. :slight_smile: There are tens of thousands of posts with those two words in them. If you expand that to topics, you will likely get hits on a third of the content on the board. The ‘stop words’ were intended to (a) keep our search index smaller / more managable, and (b) keep users from making searches that would end up be useless anyway.

We have added many of the stopwords back into the index. We have also added a “full text” index to see how that impacts the board. After a month or two we will try to get a full text search page out for beta testing. The advantages of using the fulltext index are we can do a phrase search, you can set certain words as more or less important in your search, and you can sort things by relevance. The restrictions are you can only search by post (not topic) and the search overhead is much higher. All trade-offs to consider.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)