BusinessObjects Board

Using Excel to modify and view universe metadata

A developer in my organization wants to use Excel to view and modify universe metadata.
I want to know if this is possible, and if it is supported by BO.
Here is his question verbatim:
We would like to determine if there is a way metadata can be exchanged between, e.g. an Excel file and a universe in BO Designer, preferably both ways. Purpose of this is to speed up development time by creating objects/classes along with its metadata which have already been defined in an Excel or flat file. Currently, we have to create one by one object in BO universes. Given the sheer size of our universes, being able to make objects parameter setting changes via Excel or flat file would be of tremendous help.

We’ve checked online forums which had limited insights into this functionality. To summarize, we need the help with the following:

1. If a metadata exchange is possible between Excel/flat file and BO universe, both ways, with BO XIR2
  2. If so, if there is any technical documentation available on BO/SAP Support pages
  3. If 1) not possible, if this functionality exist in BO XIR3

Our environment: BO XI R2 SP 3.6 on Solaris. Desktop tools run on XP.
Thanks,
SJ

bienvenusj (BOB member since 2007-08-01)

Possible, yes. Supported, yes … if you use the Designer SDK. To my knowledge BusObj does not provide such a solution (interchange with Excel). A couple of examples:
Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK
Mass update to object names / descriptions

Not exactly everything you were after, but shows what’s possible. To me, OUT to Excel makes sense … documentation, reference, backup, etc. I’m not as sold on the IN direction though. There is just too much going on with universe design. Thinking all that intelligence can be built with an Excel interface seems more complex than just putting Designer in the hands of those with the right skills.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)