BusinessObjects Board

Using DeskI in R3?

Hi,

I am just curious to know about DeskI role in the new version.

We have more than 1000 DeskI reports (No webI at all in my current company). User themself creates Adhoc reports as well. We are planning to upgrade to new version end of this year.

1. Do we need to convert all of them to Rich Client?
  2. If not, is it reliable to bring those DeskI in new version??
  3. Heard BO doesnt support DeskI moving on?

Please provide your valuable input which could shed some light on our migration.

Thanks & Regards,
Nits

Nits :us: (BOB member since 2008-11-09)

Desktop Intelligence is present in 3.0/3.1. It is not present in 4.x. I would suggest that it’s time to start figuring out a plan to get converted to Web Intelligence or Crystal.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Is there a functionality gap list between 3.1 Deski and 4.x Webi?

If we continue to have deski reports under 3.1, will BO still support us in case of issues? In 4.x, is deski completely removed or does not exist? Please clarify. Thanks!

Deski does no longer exist in Xi4

Deski will likely be supported until end-of-life at which point no support will be offered.

I don’t think so, not yet, as 4.x isn’t even officially a product yet. Once it’s released I am sure some folks will try to make such a list.

Hi Dave,

Is there any reasons that you did not mentioned Webi Rich Client?

Thanks…

JohnJustus :us: (BOB member since 2007-06-25)

Rich Client is just Web Intelligence running on a client workstation. I didn’t see a need to call it out specifically.

Will Report conversion tool has the capability to convert DeskI to Rich Client?

I know we had faced lot of issues in converting DeskI to WebI. But I am wondering will DeskI to Rich Client conversion works smoother?

Thanks!
Nihya

The report conversion tool should handle most of them. But expect to have to go back and fix things. Frankly, this is a great opportunity for your company to review and get rid of the reports that are no longer being used. I can guarantee you that many of your DeskI reports are not being used by anyone.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

Yaa… I can understand what you are talking about. I am new here, so far I was using WebI in my previous work (converted most into WebI)…
but here each and every user has their DeskI installed and working on DeskI (I know it sounds weird … :roll_eyes: )

Its going to be a major task for us to convert them into WebI/Rich Client in few months. So am taking all the BO experts input here.

Regards,
Nithya