BusinessObjects Board

Using Constants in Designer for Union Queries

I am currently using a freehand sql query to accomplish a fairly complicated task. I want to replace this with a Universe. I am querying on SAP.R3 using Oracle and do not have rights to create tables or add data in any way. Here is a piece of the sql:

SELECT
ltrim(SAPR3.AFPO.AUFNR,0) as OrdNum,
ltrim(SAPR3.AFKO.STLNR,0) AS BOM,
ltrim(SAPR3.STPO.IDNRK,0) as Component,
SAPR3.STPO.MENGE as ComponentQTY,
ltrim(SAPR3.AFPO.MATNR,0) as MaterialOrdered,
SAPR3.MAKT.MAKTX as ComponentName,
SAPR3.AFPO.GSBER as Plant,
SAPR3.AFKO.GSTRS as Date1,
β€˜0’ as PONUM,
0 AS INV_QTY

From (See tables above)

Where
(Yada, yada, yada)

Union All

SELECT
β€˜0’ as OrdNum,
β€˜0’ AS BOM,
ltrim(SAPR3.MARD.MATNR,0) as Component,
0 as ComponentQTY,
β€˜0’ as MaterialOrdered,

SAPR3.MAKT.MAKTX as ComponentName,
SAPR3.MARD.WERKS as Plant,
β€˜0’ as Date1,
β€˜0’ as PONUM,

SAPR3.MARD.LABST AS INV_QTY

From (More Tables)

Where
etc.

Now for the question. Is it possible to create an object and assign a constant as I have done with this freehand query in Designer?

By the way, you guys are awesome professionals.

tkdrocks :us: (BOB member since 2003-06-10)

Yes, just create a new object in Business Objects Designer, in the Select box type in β€˜0’.

The object alone will not parse (because it does not reference any table), but if you use it in conjunction with other β€œregular” universe objects to build your data provider in Business Objects Reporter it will work just fine.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

That did the trick. Thank you for the quick response Andreas. Once again, BOB comes through.

tkdrocks :us: (BOB member since 2003-06-10)

I always keep a series of constants around … space, zeroes, null to balance out a union … β€˜ALL’ to include in a custom LOV … even a chr(0) to force something (like β€˜ALL’) to sort to the top. They can be quite handy.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Can you elaborate on using β€˜ALL’ in a custom LOV? What exactly are you doing and how do you use it ?

tscoccol :us: (BOB member since 2003-11-15)

Please, take a look a this FAQ Designer entry and this one dealing with prompts.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)