BusinessObjects Board

Using Beach and/or e-Fashion databases for training

[Cindy moved this from Off-Topic to General Discussion]

If I needed to teach another person at my company how to create a universe, I can use beach or e-fashion - right?

So if I am going to make it more formal and create a basic training manual, I can still use beach or e-fashion, right?

I am only going to teach others in my company.

Anyone know for sure how beach and e-fashion can be used?

Thanks,

Sandy Brotje (BOB member since 2002-07-24)

We created a small sample training database from one of data warehouse systems. We found it easier to train our users on data that they understand. This applies to Designer training too.
BTW - I think this topic was discussed extensively last fall some time if you can find it.

scott copeland (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Before I posted this, I searched but couldn’t find anything. After I read your post, I searched again, using different words, and found a short discussion. Think my question is answered.

:oops: If I knew how to put in a link :oops: , I’d do it here to go to the other topic.

Thanks Scott!

One more question, does it matter if I/we are not a partner? Can I use beach or e-fashion to teach our employees?

Thanks,

Yes, you certainly can, as long as it’s just for your own employees. However, if you’re cearting your own training materials, why use beach or efashion? Why not use your own universe. That’s what I did at my last job. We created a training class based entirely around our own data. It was more useful to the students.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Yeah, well, that seems like a great idea - I agree. However, we have to create a bare bones, basic designer class and hold a pilot class and incorporate their feedback into the class, all in 3 months. On top of that I have two projects that I need to do design work for, in the same 3 months. If we can work with an exisiting database, then we have more time to work on the class. The deadline isn’t moving. It is June 21. If we were going to use our DW, we’d have to scale it back somehow. That seems like a huge undertaking, involving other people who don’t have the same deadlines as we do.

Oh well, such is life.

Thanks,
Sandy

Oh, for a Designer class – I would think using Beach and eFashion should be fine.

For our Reporter and WebI classes, we use one or two of our custom universes – and our users prefer this. It gives them a chance to get comfortable with what they’re going to go back to their desks and use, they can ask us specific questions about some of the objects, we can point to the Description section on each object to show them the built-in-help that helps them to remember what the object’s format is, how it is to be used, etc.

So, I concur with Michael that for Reporter classes, using one’s own universes can be helpful, particularly with many beginners who have trouble relating to other data.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I agree! When it comes to teaching our users about BusinessObjects, we use the class we created based on our Data Warehouse. It is much easier for someone to learn how to create a query if it is on data that means something to them.

The thing that is different here, is that we will not necessarily be teaching designers to design on the data warehouse. They will be starting up other BusinessObjects applications. So teaching them on beach or costed shipments (in our dw), might not make a lot of difference if they are going to be creating a universe on auditing information.

Thanks for the input. Seems like we are OK to proceed.

Here’s the topic you were probably mentioning. :wink:

I made this same comment in the other topic… there are other things to consider in building training material. Island Resorts and eFashion are static. That means that the data, report results, and more importantly, screen shots included in the training manual won’t change. Many people don’t find the time or value in building a static training database on their “real” data.

What we often suggest (and implement) is a one-day session using Island Resorts or eFashion, followed by a half-day session lead by a SME specifically for their area. It means more time involved in training, but the benefit is that users don’t get distracted by “their” data during the main training, and by the send day they are more interested in and prepared for the idea of working with the “real stuff”.

My two cents… not adjusted for inflation.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

In our case, our classes are taught in half-day modules, which our users find a bit easier to fit into their schedules. So, after the first half-day intro class, they want to be able to get real work done. So, using our “Easiest” universe helps them to get started… :wink:

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I’m also in the ‘their own data helps them learn’ camp. We’ve had this battle with the ‘their data just distracts them’ crew :wink: I think that BO looks so much like Excel and acts so differently that a lot of non computery people have a hard time…especially the left brainers.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)