BusinessObjects Board

Using a Load Balancer

We need to get our experts to pipe in on this implementation. Lets start with this example:

2 - BO XI Release 2 servers (JSP load), OS - Windows 2003, CMS - SQL Server 2005, Input/Output file stores are will be placed on SAN.

1 - Load Balancer (pick your brand)

Final solution should be able to support the IIS redirect and configuration to support using SSO against Active Directory. Instructions on are in MHF1 or SP2 for the software (or if you have questions on this I can help its working here).

We looking at deploying this soultion at our location so if successful I promise I will submit this as a paper for the international conference for presentation.

If you have done this solution lets see if we can consolidate the steps here for others to use. :yesnod: :yesnod:

:cheers:

Thanks for the help…

tenather :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

OK, let’s start with the basic architecture. How many users will be supported? What kind of content will be stored (Crystal Reports, Web Intelligence, Desktop Intelligence, etc.)?

What will be running on each server? Do you plan to have the entire stack on each machine, or split tasks between the two? I take it you are using the .NET version, as you mentioned IIS. So Obviously you have no plans to use Performance Management, is that correct?

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Load: JSP, we are using the Tomcat redirect to support AD SSO
#users: 1000-1500, anticipated concurrent usage to be approx 25-30 users
Reports - 90% WebI 5% Crystal 5% Xcelsius models using Qaaws.

According to a few posts their seems to be consensis on loading the entire stack on both. As projects are developed and posted adjustments can be made but assume full stack on both

No this is a JAVA loaded stack using tomcat. IIS is used so we can implement SSO using Window AD. See MHF1 instructions Appendix C to see how this is configured.

OK, so loading the full stack on both machines with give you two distinct advantages:

:arrow_forward: Load balancing during periods of peak demand.
:arrow_forward: Failover protection, should one machine go down.

Keep in mind that only 1 Input and Output server will be active at one time. However, if one fails, the other will become active to pick up the work.

Since you will not be using Desktop Intelligence, make sure you disable and shut down the Desktop Intelligence servers. This will save you some processor time as well as memory space.

Ok Performance manager will be in this stack as we are using Dashboard manager framework heavliy.

Now are there any updates/tricks to:
To the software to make it work?
To the load balancer to make it work?

Install server 1 first, and set up the CMS database. Then install server 2, pointing it at the same CMS database. After install, shut down the servers on machine 2, and repoint them all to the cluster on machine 1. Then restart them.

BOE will handle load balancing internally. Since BOE will treat each machine as equal, in terms of the works assigned to each, it is best if the machines are of equal capacity.

We have a similar case here:

ca. 2000 users
2 servers running IIS and tomcat (HTTP bridge)
IIS is used for SSO and tomcat for running infoview due to PM
CMS cluster defined between the two servers for BO services load balancing and failover

HTTP failover using a hardware network appliance to delegate traffic to either servers. any level 4 switch will do, we’re using a ctirx appliance called NetScaler also the help with TCP traffic optimization.

The input/output services point to an NFS volume.

BO is XI R2 SP1, MHF1, HF16… I’m just planning the SP2 patch, going into test early next week

Regards,

T.

Tom Wolniewicz (BOB member since 2007-03-19)

Michael,

What do you mean by repoint all the servers on machine 1 to machine 2?
What are the steps?

Thanks,

new2BOXIR2 (BOB member since 2007-04-09)

How about and example of what you mean by repoint to machine one. Do you mean change any machine name from #2 to #1’s name?

Having examples saves a lot of this :hb:

On machine 2, you turn off each server, using the CCM. Then you open the properties of each server (right click - Properties), and change the cluster name to the machine 1 cluster. Then restart the servers.

What would you recommend that I read prior to jumping into this? Have any of your customer’s used Itanium servers?

I would suggest that the Cisco CSS Router can be deployed to support multiple Web and XI R2 Servers. I have more details posted in the “Architecture and Sizing” in the BOB Forum - downloads section.

EnterpriseArchitect :us: (BOB member since 2006-03-23)

Congratulations on this architecture! We are moving towards a similiar build and currently working on the network CSS load balancer. I do not have much knowledge on networks so any information would be appreciated here.

We have 2 BOXI server with a clustered CMS on a 112 subnet, our network team says the router on the 112 subnet does not have CSS. The CSS is on another subnet 115. The network team is advising to move and change the DNS of the BOXI servers to the 112 subnet, which I do not feel comfortable with. My question is, does the subnet need to be the same? I was hoping a CSS from subnet 115 can direct the network traffic to the BOXI servers on subnet 112. Any information would be appreciated!

bwboxi (BOB member since 2002-09-05)

The Loadbalancing device (Cisco CSS Router) should be in the same subnet as the B.O Server to control traffic.

Please make sure that the Cisco CSS Router Session Timeout limit is greater than 180 minutes (This ensures that the B.O Server communication doesnot have timeout issues).

EnterpriseArchitect :us: (BOB member since 2006-03-23)

Hi,

MichaelWelter wrote

“Install server 1 first, and set up the CMS database. Then install server 2, pointing it at the same CMS database.
After install, shut down the servers on machine 2, and repoint them all to the cluster on machine 1. Then restart them.
BOE will handle load balancing internally. Since BOE will treat each machine as equal, in terms of the works assigned to each,
it is best if the machines are of equal capacity.”
“On machine 2, you turn off each server, using the CCM.
Then you open the properties of each server (right click - Properties), and change the cluster name to the machine 1 cluster.
Then restart the servers.”

On our machine 2 it’s all right except for Input File Repository Server and Output File Repository Server: both are pointing to CMS database of machine 2 instead of machine 1.
Do you think may this configuration cause problems ?

Thanks

frto (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

Yes, that’s a big problem. Go into the CMC, Servers area, and go to each of those 2 servers and change the path to point to the File Store on machine 1. Better yet, move your File Store to a network drive, and point both machines to that.

Does shutting down unused services really make a difference? If its not processing any jobs, how does it use processor time?

I can see the savings in memory space, but the savings looks very minimal.

Couldn’t hurt to shut down the services, but I’m thinking other tweaking could have a bigger impact on performance.

bension (BOB member since 2005-09-01)

bension,

You’re correct in the unised servers will not use much CPU time (although they do consume a little). They do use memory, however, which can always be better alocated elsewhere.

It is, of course, always a best practice to have nothing running on a server that isn’t needed. Even little things can add up.

Could anyone expand on the thoughts of having 2 different application servers, how can it be done in a pure windows environment.
So the cluster members do not need IIS to be running?

venky80 (BOB member since 2006-11-02)