BusinessObjects Board

User Objects...

What is the purpose of “User Objects”? How can we create one using designer? I do not see any option in Designer that allows me to create a “User Object”, All I see is that a window opens up and asks me for a *.udo file. What am I missing?

Appreciate any help

JSanthanam :india: (BOB member since 2003-12-17)

User Objects (I hate them) are just that: Objects created by Users using Reporter. They are used when users need something that isn’t in the universe.

If a user creates one, then it only works for him.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Thanks Steve, Appreciate your help and feedback. This user group has been of tremendous help and interest to me.

Hi ,
you can also attach a user objects created by a user to the universe so that everyone with access to that universe can use them.
As these user objects are created as .udo files you can attach one to a universe by browsing for a udo file and including it in that universe.
Now this user object can be used by all the users.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

abhi

abhi_ruiet (BOB member since 2003-01-20)

abhi

I wonder if you would elaborate on your last post i would be very interested in getting UDO to work within My Universe!!

1. :cheers:

Sherpa :uk: (BOB member since 2003-12-02)

The universe designer can import *.UDO files into the universe thereby converting them to “regular” universe objects.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Interesting, this will help get me through the rest of the day Thank You

Sherpa :uk: (BOB member since 2003-12-02)

Now, seeing all these replies on UDO’s, I am not sure where and how I create a UDO within reporter. Help please!

Two places:

Tools + Universes, pick a universe and click the User Objects button
From the query panel click the User Objects button on the toolbar

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Just a note on this, (its happened to me twice) that the User Object button on the Query Panel didn’t work until I did Tools + Universes.

no idea why, but like Steve ‘I hate them’ so do I and rarely use them, so never bothered to find out.

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

If the Tools + Universes option does not work, you will find that there is a UDO file of zero bytes that has to be deleted. The UDO file has the same name as the universe, so for Island Resorts (Beach.UNV) it will be BEACH.UDO. Just delete the zero byte file from your harddrive and it will work…

That particular issue is even in our Reporter FAQ

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)