BusinessObjects Board

User display Name

I have searched this board and could not find and answer to this question…In the old Supervisor, I recall that we could enter in a user display name that could be different from their username. This display name would show up in infoview as, for example, “Welcome: Jane Smith” rather than “Welcome:jsmith29”.

I cannot seem to find the place in the CMC to accomplish this in XIR2. Is it possible?

Thanks

MichelleS (BOB member since 2006-05-17)

I opened a case for this at BO, but unfortunately you can’t do anything about it in XI (unless maybe using SDK?), and it might be added in a next release… :roll_eyes:

filip :belgium: (BOB member since 2005-12-29)

I understand the pain, we were doing an audit report once and we had to map the user ids to their actual names and that was a night mare. :roll_eyes:
Please post back what BO Says, if you hear anything.

Sheshachala5 :india: (BOB member since 2004-01-09)

I’m also very interested to hear what they have to say about this one, in my mind it’s a step backwards…

DJ

DJ06482 :us: (BOB member since 2002-11-22)

We are busy migrating to BO XI R2 with service pack 2 and it is still not possible to see the full name. Any news from BO or when it is expected to be changed will be welcome.

Thanks

Hermann :south_africa: (BOB member since 2005-08-30)

Hi, I logged it and the answer was that it is not currently possible with XI R2 SP2. Enhancement request has been opened at Business Objects.
ADAPT00799415

Regards

I’m not sure I understand the problem. We’re on XIR2 SP1 MHF15. Whatever we enter in the Full Name field in the CMC is what appears after “Welcome” in InfoView. This happens with users being authenticated by Enterprise or Windows AD. The User Name doesn’t appear in InfoView.

That’s what you’re looking for - correct? :crazy_face:

Norm Rosen :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

You don’t need to wait for R3, it is already available in R2. If you are using the Java version, the display name is controlled by a header jsp file. I can’t remember the exact name off the top of my head though. But it is in the Infoview folder (and possibly in one its subfolders).

Now, how to get the source of the display name is another story. It is so much easier for us because we control the users’ data security IN the database…as it should be.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

In the CMC on the userid you have an account name, in our case we use personnel id’s e.g 123456 and a full name where we type the persons name and surname in. If you log into Infoview it displays Welcome: 123456, which is the account name and not the full name. We are also authenticating with Enterprise. Hope this clarifies my problem.

Cheers

So do we. The account names in CMC contain our employee numbers ONLY. But as I have stated before, we maintain our users’ data security in the database where it should be. On these security records, you can easily add the user’s first name and last name. Then you can display the full names by querying this security table in the headerPlus.jsp. It is very simple.

Now I understand the problem. It turns out our InfoView displays the Full Name because our java code was customized. :oops: Our system architect posted the customization here:
https://bobj-board.org/t/70208

Norm Rosen :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Thank you , for a moment I felt a bit sheepish. I will try the new jsp pages.

Cheers

Yeah, it is very simple. I am surprised that BOBJ did not tell you when you logged the ER.

Hi, having read the above I understand the full name display is only possible in JSP with a customisation. We use IIS6 ASP.NET, so it is not possible at all in SP2 under ASP, right ? :?

ttc (BOB member since 2006-04-10)

I am sure they have an equivalent file in ASP, you just have to look around and find it.

Did you find the answer to this?

I found the headerPlus.aspx and headerPlus.aspx.cs files but what do you change?

plessiusa :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-22)