BusinessObjects Board

User Dimension Restrictions

Hi,
I would like to ask for the better solution for my problem.

I have a employee hierarchy, so I have Area Managers, District Managers and Territory managers. My sales fact table has the data at territory level, so I get the sales of a District Manager as the sum of the sales of all territories in his/her district, and the sales of an area Manager as the sum of all his/her districts.

All the employees has a login_id in Business Objects. I have create a report that has 3 sections. One for the Area Managers, another for the District Managers and the last for the Territory Managers. What I want to get is that when a users login in the system and open this reports only could see the information of his/her hierrarchy level and the information of the employees below his/her level.

Could you give me some suggestions about how develop this. I have several ideas in my mind by I think that they are very complicated and I’m thinking that perhaps there are better solutions and I don’t know them.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Pedro

boa_spain (BOB member since 2004-05-12)

Please, try a search on BOB in the Supervisor forum, suggested keywords: Row level restrictions

Or start with this FAQ entry.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I would propose creating of a profile table in database and linking the profile table to your sales fact table.
Maintain the BO user id in the profile table.
You can then use supervisor level restrictions and make use of @BOUSER.

yadvinder singh (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

I’m getting a PowerPoint slide show uploaded that shows several methods for doing this. In the meantime, search tech support’s knowledge base for “Miami&Security” and you’ll see a similar set of slides.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

The presentaton is here: Using Designer to Implement Row-Level Security

BOB Downloads (BOB member since 2003-05-05)

Steve,
you mention ‘Business Objects passwords must be in synch with database passwords’ as a disadvantage for a ‘private view’. Have you ever used ‘OS Authentication’ on a OracleDB? It works fine and no password checking on the database is needed.

Geert :belgium: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Hi,

I have applied row level security using “restrictions” option in Unverse. When I migrate from Dev to QA, the restrictions I have applied is not getting migrated. Is there anything that I have do specifically to get my restrictions also migrated?

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Narayanan

narayanan83 :india: (BOB member since 2010-01-21)

check the option universe overload while migrating the universe.

Regards,
Sandeep

smandal :india: (BOB member since 2010-03-24)