BusinessObjects Board

User can't see universes after it has been assigned

Can someone tell me why a user can’t see a universe that has been already assigned to them? The user can see other universes but not others. User have already installed the appropriate BO keys.

easante (BOB member since 2006-08-01)

They are probably a member of another group that doesn’t have access to that universe. I would check what groups that user is a member of and then check to see if the universe has been denied to any of those groups.

Todd

thamrick :us: (BOB member since 2004-05-18)

If I understood the problem correctly… it is happening because of user privilage. You need to log-in to BO supervisor and check what are the universes available to the group that the user is in.

You can also create a test ID in the same user group as the user (who is unable to view the universe in the list) to check if you can see it or not in the list.

shyamdev :japan: (BOB member since 2005-08-05)

Hi and welcome to B :mrgreen: B

One almost obvious hint that is worth of trying:
The user needs to re-login to BO in order to see the newly enabled objects (universes, reports).

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Ding-Ding-Ding! I bet this is the winner!

Please see this entry from our Supervisor FAQ: How are rights granted if a user is in multiple groups?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Of course Todd’s right. I remember him when he could barely spell BO. Now he’s certified. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a result of poor implementation. You should not be giving rights to universes at the “top” and then turning them off at lower levels. You should only be granting rights to the folders and not
“ungranting”. That way you get the union you really are looking for.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Ask the user to import the universe to the universe folder or save the *.unv file in the universe folder obtained from another user.

KhoushikTTT :us: (BOB member since 2005-02-24)

Why? I’ve never seen this help.

I felt that, even though the user have access to the universe if the *.unv file is not present in the universe folder then we cant see it in the list of universe available to report on.

A person’s rights to use a universe are determined on the rights as set in Supervisor. Another copy of the universe file elsewhere won’t help in this case.

One needs to get the rights set properly in Supervisor. That’s what will work.

C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\Business Objects\Business Objects 6.0\universes

let me explain my point of view little further. If the eFashion.unv file is deleted from the above folder, and the user is having access to this universe granted in supervisor will the user be able to see EFashion universe for reporting.

Now the poster’s question was, a new user is granted access to universe1. Without the universe1.unv in the above folder will the user be able to query on universe1.

What you are assuming is incorrect. The universes in the folder you referred to are not universes in the repository.

If a user has appropriate rights, BO sees that from the repository. Even if a user has the file on his system and doesn’t have rights, he won’t see it on the list.

Thank you Anita and Steve.

You might try taking a look a the “Mysteries of the Universe” document to see if it helps you understand which universes you can see, when.

Thanks all for your feed back. The issue has since been resolved. User re-installed BusinessObjects the second time to fix the issue.

easante (BOB member since 2006-08-01)