BusinessObjects Board

Use of ManagerO universe

Hello everyone,

I got a small doubt. I need to know how many users are accessing the reports and how reports are being accessed in past 3-4 months in my company.
I think I can use managero universe. But I just want to know is there any restriction on using managero universe at work place like any copy rights etc…

Thanks in advance

cyberdude :india: (BOB member since 2007-02-05)

managero is not going to tell you who the activity about who is using the reports, because that information is not stored in the repository.

If your users are using WebI and/or ZABO, and if you’ve turned auditing on in WebI – then the usage activity is captured in audit logs, or in audit tables – if you’ve chosen to have the audit logs periodically put cached results into a database.

If your users are using 2-tier full-client – you either need to capture activity with macros, or buy a third-party tool. There’s nothing in vanilla BusinessObjects that can capture that activity.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Hi Anita,

Can we atleast know how many active users we have in Business Objects, as well as the reports that have been run in the last 90 days using managero universe.

I’m pretty much new to reporting on Audit logs so not sure how to go about it.

I dont know whether auditing is turned on or not. Most of the users use WebI so, can you tell me how to cache audit logs into database if the auditing is turned on and where actually audit logs or tables stored and how to access them.

Using Business Objects 5.1.2 and Oracle 9i

thanks in advance,
Chand

No. The managero universe is only used to report on user accounts and their status and rights. User activity is not stored in the repository at all.

Auditing is turned on in the webi administrator application. If memory serves, there is some documentation on the audit tables in the 5.x Supervisor guide.

Auditing / repository reporting questions are generally discussed (here on BOB) in the Supervisor forum rather than the Semantic Layer forum, so I’ll move your topic there now.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave,

Managero universe is not on the security domain but on the universe domain. Thus it simply allows you to quer universes, objects within universes, contexts … based on UNV_ tables. Thus noting to do with rights and universes overloads.

Regards

The version I used did have those features. :wink: I don’t know that I have it anymore since it has been a while since I worked with the older versions.

But you are correct, the “standard” managero universe was only for universe structures. Thanks for the clarification.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Yep,

Maybe a mix of the activity universe and managero.

Thus your universe works only when the security domain and the universe domain are in the same schema.

Regards

Thanks for your suggestions,

I went through the Supervisor User Guide 5i, but its not much of a help. Can you please let me know how to query on the audit tables.

Even if the audit log is cached I’m not sure where it is stored and how it is accessed.

Thanks in advance

It is easier to run queries on audit info stored on database rather than going through audit logs.

Infomration on enabling audit to database will be in administrator’s guide. Look for keywords “Tracing system activity”.

Also here is the bobj download link to get sample audit universe and sample reports.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Shekara Reddy

shekar25 (BOB member since 2004-05-11)

Hi Sekhar,

Thanks for the information. I don’t have the access to the database so will ask the database administrator to do the necessary.

Thanks again for the help guys