BusinessObjects Board

Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2 Public Folders and FavouriteFolder

As part of the migration using lcm_cli.bat i plan to export the users FavouriteFolder and its content from source to target. We have about 16,000 users which is coming up to be 150,000 objects in total. Based on the current configuration, when exporting using below command

“SELECT TOP 100000 static, relationships, SI_PARENT_FOLDER_CUID, SI_OWNER, SI_PATH FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS,CI_APPOBJECTS,CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS WHERE DESCENDENTS(“SI_NAME=‘Folder Hierarchy’”, “(SI_KIND=‘FavoritesFolder’)”)”

its filling up the Source C:\ drive and hence failing.

How can i bring in only partial FavouritesFolder, like users whose names starts with NUmbers i.e. 123_user till az_user and have them exported to a seperate lcmbiar file and once done create a second batch file to process ba_user till dz_user, so on and so forth?

The same issue is with Public Folders and contents. Is there a way to export only “Public Folder-ABC Folder-PQR Folder” as foldercontent_abc_pqr.lcmbiar file and subsequently “Public Folder-ABC Folder-XYZ Folder” as foldercontent_abc_xyz.lcmbiar file?

I am using below script for Folders and reports.
SELECT TOP 100000 static, relationships, SI_PARENT_FOLDER_CUID, SI_OWNER, SI_PATH FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS,CI_APPOBJECTS,CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS WHERE DESCENDENTS(“SI_NAME=‘Folder Hierarchy’”, “SI_ID in (23)”)

boe_bods :india: (BOB member since 2008-03-14)

I don’t have the properties files that we used when we did our upgrade from BI4.1 to BI4.2 any more, that would have been helpful to answer your question. Now I have to rely on my memory. :wink:

My initial suggestion would be to either find more disk space, it can be a network location, or to just skip the biar file creation and move your content directly from your source environment to your target environment. We moved our content directly from our source environment to our target environment and we didn’t have any issues.

Our problem with our migrations wasn’t so much the actual reports, but all of the instances that are in our system. Our upgrade from XI3.1 to BI 4.1 required a two day outage due to the amount of time it took to run because of that. We used the scripts when we upgraded from BI4.1 to BI4.2 to migrate just the reports and then migrated the instances later. This cut our outage window down to less than one day. The only issue we ran into is that migrating the instances separate from their parent report broken the &last functionality when calling reports using OpenDocument. This was resolved with the next run of that particular report. It also took us two weeks to migrate all of the report instances. :reallymad:

As I said, I don’t have the properties files from when we did our migration as it was several years ago but the queries used in them are basically Query Builder queries so you can play around in Query Builder to get an idea of exactly what the query is going to move.

Thank you John for your response.

Makes sense, i was trying to EXPORT the contents as lcmbiar file and then subsequently use PMW to import the LCMBIAR file into target system.

If i understand you correctly are you suggesting, instead of doing the round about just do PROMOTE and define Source and Destination CMS and would this scenario not write anything to source machines C: drive?

Job status : Failure
Job summary : 6 Word,3 Txt,5669 Webi,1 Analytic,154 Pdf,1692 Excel,74 Shortcut
Job result : Job status -> Failure

• Job from query by Administrator on Fri Aug 16 18:54:03 EDT 2019 (,Scheduled Sub-instance); Status -> Commit Status=Commit attempted and failed., Promotion Status=Failure : Logon failure to Destination CMS:CMSNAME:6400

Any idea why its failing to loginto Destination CMS?

Regards,
Adnan

If I remember correctly, it will still use some space for temporary use but it won’t use at much. I can’t guarantee that it won’t fill up your C drive still.

Usually that is either an incorrect designation for the Destination DMS machine or incorrect login and password. For this type of work, I think it is safer to use the Administrator login for all connections.

To just extract files/folders owned by users with a username starting with A

SELECT TOP 100000 static, relationships, SI_PARENT_FOLDER_CUID, SI_OWNER, SI_PATH FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS,CI_APPOBJECTS,CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS WHERE DESCENDENTS("SI_NAME='Folder Hierarchy'", "(SI_KIND='FavoritesFolder')") 
AND SI_OWNER LIKE 'A%'

To just extract files/folders owned by users with a username starting with numbers 0 thru 9 and/or A is a bit trickier, but this should work:

SELECT TOP 100000 static, relationships, SI_PARENT_FOLDER_CUID, SI_OWNER, SI_PATH FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS,CI_APPOBJECTS,CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS WHERE DESCENDENTS("SI_NAME='Folder Hierarchy'", "(SI_KIND='FavoritesFolder')") 
AND (
SI_OWNER LIKE '1%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '2%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '3%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '4%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '5%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '6%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '7%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '8%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '9%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE '0%' OR
SI_OWNER LIKE 'A%' )

Hayden_Gill :australia: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thank you Hayden. That would do it for favorite folders.

Could you also share some insight along the same lines when it comes to Public folders where Descendants and Children come into picture? We have certain sub folders that have too many objects. Is there a way to exclude that sub folder and all the folders under that and migrate rest of the public folders content and then migrate the problem child in smaller bits based on sub folders SI_ID?

Regards…

P.S: Nevermind, figured it out. Was able to use keywords DECENTENTS and CHILDREN to exclude and include folders and content as needed. Thanks again for the insight.