BusinessObjects Board

updating metadata after db migration

Can someone describe at a high level the process and impact on reports/metadata the source for all the reports/metadata from one database vendor to another?

Is BO SQL generation target specific? In other words, if I built a report, should I be able to re-use that report against a copy of the metadata that was imported from the same exact db structure on a different database?

Some BI tools support “pass through” SQL that allows you take advantage of specific db vendor capabilities.

If for some reason there were a bunch of DB vendor specific functions embedded in the metadata, is there a way to change them in bulk?

I saw another thread with a post about changing object names and descriptions in bulk using a visual basic API. Is all of the metadata available via the object properties?

jsm123 (BOB member since 2012-06-20)

Just to be clear, are you talking about a change from Oracle to MS Sql, something like that? Just reporting end?

If you have not done any custom SQL that’s database specific, you should be able to create a new connection that’s defined against this new back end database. Then just modify your univerese to use this new connection, re-export. BO will change its SQL accordingly.

You could also just change your connection, but this lets you do testing more easily (I think).

Is that the answer you need?

B

bdouglas :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

As far as I know, not all properties (metadata) are exposed in the VBA object model.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Yes. In this case, DB2 to Oracle. The concern was that somehow there might be DB2 specific functions/syntax used.

I know in other BI tools, the SQL generation handles DB independence for you, unless you’ve intentionally bypassed it with “passthrough” type SQL.

Thanks for your help!

Are the properties/metadata easily exportable in human readable format to scan for the use of custom SQL functions that might be impacted by a change in DB platform?

Is there an easy way to figure out the scope of what that might take other than opening everything up and looking through all the reports?

Yes, there are few utilities that can document a BO universe in Excel. One of them being for instance this one:

Check the BOB’s Download section for other, similar utilities.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)