BusinessObjects Board

Updating dimension/measure/detail object descriptions

I want to update dimension, measure and detail objects in my universe using the Java SDK.

I can use queryservice from the web services SDK to at least retrieve the list of universes and all the dimensions, measures and detail objects in that universe. I can also see the unique id (CUID) for each object. For example, “AURR2Uq9ztlBl6T1ahyEi4s.DO208”

Just as a test I used the BIPlatform service to retrieve a universe object using something like: ResponseHolder rh = bipService.get(“cuid://”, null);

Then I called the bipService.update to update the description for the universe. This works ok.

But if I pass a dimension, measure or detail eg.
ResponseHolder rh = bipService.get(“cuid://<AaLp28tf5GRIufXG6Besljo.DO208>”, null);

it doesn’t even come back with an infoobject.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to achieve this?

jwych (BOB member since 2007-07-12)

you should rather use the designer SDK.

ese-aSH :fr: (BOB member since 2007-05-22)

[quote:54373d93e4=“ese-aSH”]you should rather use the designer SDK.
[/quote]

Actually, the Designer SDK is likely the only way. The universe is stored on the filesystem, so I am highly skeptical that any enterprise SDK would reach “inside” a universe to make changes. The universe description that you were updating is likely just the name that displays in Infoview (updatable via CMC).

You might consider this utility, designed using the Designer SDK for the specific purpose of updating object names and descriptions.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)