BusinessObjects Board

Universe Save As does not create new LOV objects?

I want to keep the object properties same as UniverseA. As of now they are same.

One more observation:

When I refresh the reports pointing to UniverseB and check the LOV of prompts it imports UniverseA.

I want that LOV objects of UniverseB should be separate entities and no where linked to UniverseA.

I believe the prb occured because Save As created a new universe (universe Id) but did not create new Ids for the LOV objects.

Also how do I ensure that other objects in UniverseB (dimensions and measures) are independent of UniverseA i.e. if I make change in one the other should not be affected?

devang808 (BOB member since 2007-05-28)

The will be no change of ID when changing the long name.

The filename is the name of the file that you save as in the windows dialog box, if you change this then you will create a new universe ID and I believe change the LOVs…

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Unlike previous versions long name(universe parameters) or short name(file name) are one and same in XI r2.
Can you refresh the list of values in the universe from Tools-list of values-edit list of values.
Does it still show values from universe A

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Correct Haider! My bad… :slight_smile:

I tried refreshing LOVs of few objects. I also deleted UniverseA from my local drive. I opened the report again, refreshed it and checked for LOV of prompts. It says “Cannot FInd UniverseA (DAO011)”.

If I refresh individual data providers the LOV of prompts do come up. I guess they are coming from UniverseB which is the required behavior.

In that case try refreshing the list of values from DeskI tools-universes-universe name
Then refresh the whole report

So I will have to select each object and refresh the LOV for that object?

No, its rather the classes which can be selected(using ctrl key) to refresh all LOV objects

Just go to Tools-> click universes -> select the universe(whose modifications are to be reflected in the report and then click refresh, as Haider suggested. This would allow the reflection of all the modifications done to the universe in the report.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Thanks Haider and Jhansi…

As I am doing that few more passing questions:

Will I have to do it for all the reports that need to be pointed to UniverseB?
How abt any new report that I create using UniverseB?
Is UniverseB actually independent of UniverseA in all respects like dimension objects, measure objects, LOVs, row restrictions etc?

1. Yes.
  2. Here no need of refreshing it in the said way, as you are going to create new reports
  3. It is not dependent anymore. Both are independent.

Haider, correct me if I am wrong.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Thanks Jansi and Haider…:slight_smile:

The method works!!!

I have around 50 reports which I need to point to UniverseB. Is there any other method to achieve the same.

Are these webi or deski docs, if deski there is a utility in BOBs downloads, if they are Webi try this:-

https://bobj-board.org/t/106492

we use BO XI R2.
I did my test - everything worked fine - I didn’t have any problem with LoVs.

1. I created Universe “A” with LoV with Connection “C1”.
  2. Saved it and exported.
  3. Then I renamed universe “A” to “B” and changed connection to “C2”.
  4. Saved it (!!!Don’t!!! use “Save As” just “Save”- it’s very important!!!).
  5. Export universe “B” - you’ll get a message: «Universe 'B" was previously exported with name “A”. Do you want to update the existing universe with the new name?..» - Click «Copy» !!!not!!! update.
    This also solved my problem with rows restriction.
    Regards

Elena Semenova (BOB member since 2007-05-28)

In my case the connection also remains the same. For me Save As works fine but I have to manually refresh the LOVs for UniverseB in all reports.

Mak,

Could you provide me a link tothe download?

“Save As” will terminate security for rows restriction level.

What link do you mean?
You can refresh LoV in designer:
Tools…List of Values…Edit List of Values … Refresh.
Save universe and export it.

The link msg was for Mak1. He had suggested me to download some utility for DeskI reports from BOB’s download but I could not locate the same.

Please scroll up to Mak 1’s reply.

I did not have many row restrictions so I simply created them again for my new universe.

You may need to tweak this, this code changes universes in Deski documents…

https://bobj-board.org/t/16471

NB “Teaking”- VBA keywords have changed over BusObj versions…:).

Tuning in a day late but not a dollar short…

The way I do this is to Save As Universe B, export so it’s established.
Then copy the LOV files from the Universe A folder to the Universe B folder on my local drive, then export again. The export will pick up all the LOV files because they names within the objects haven’t changed.

Hope that helps someone that finds this in the future.

adnohr (BOB member since 2002-08-20)