BusinessObjects Board

Universe Password Lost

Hi guys,
I have lost my universe password. Pl let me know where is the repository table which has to be updated (give me the column_name)
Thanks in advance

Zabo_BI (BOB member since 2002-09-20)

There is no such thing as a universe password, isn’t there ? :crazy_face:
Are you referring to your General Supervisor password? If so take a look at the Supervisor FAQ here

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

If you log in to Supervisor using a General Supervisor account you can review the connection info for your universe connections. You may even be able to review it using a “regular” supervisor account.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Guys,
In the desigenr module I have set the option for password ( i.e. Tools/Options/Save - Protection password ). from supervisor I can view the connection and other details but not the password that was set to open the universe. I hope I am clear.
Any ideas
Regards

Oh. :shock:

You may be out of luck. If anything, you might be able to send your universe to BusinessObjects and see if they can unlock it for you. Or perhaps you have an older version of the universe that you can recover instead?

I don’t think I’ve seen anything to recover this sort of thing, either for universes or documents. Doesn’t mean there isn’t something, just that I haven’t seen it. 8)

You think he could do a Save As and give it a new name to remove the password then name it back and export over the top of the one with the same name? Is there an equivalent to Reporter’s save for all users? You’d have to be careful of course. That would work with a report but I didn’t even know you could give a universe a save password.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

I didn’t think he could even open the universe at this point.

Sure, it’s “save in workgroup mode”.

Oh duh :oops: .

OK one more suggestion. Don’t know if it will help. I saved a .rep with a password and it was stored in the document. I was able to open it in notepad and find it doing a search. You could play around with another universe and see if you can find it opening that in notepad. Then if you pin down a pattern to where you find it, presto.

HTH!

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

She’s right! Great Job!

Use WordPad, that way you can read the file easier.
It’s on the 25th line counting from the bottom. It’s the first line that has database type on it.

Look for a line that contains the string RESMGR. The password should be in clear text a few characters before.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Hi,
I am not able to retrieve the password as instructed.
Serched for the database name as well RESMGR
There is an encrypted value which I am not sure of
Any other clue
Regards

Not sure if this will help but I’ve just done the trick using wordpad and I can find a line with a reference to BusinessObjects on it. To the right of that there is a reference to the universe name, right again for your password then right again for RESMGR. In between the bits above there is a bit of unreadable text. Hope that helps narrow it down a bit

stephen clutton :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Hello All,

I know this topic is very old, just checking if somebody was successful in retrieving the old password, we are on BO XI 3.1 and i can see some letters before RESMGR, but those letters are not the actual password,

Thanks
Raj

raj342 (BOB member since 2009-05-05)

it’s a 7 year-old thread you have touched. You can’t recover a password. just get the database password changed and change the connection password…

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)