BusinessObjects Board

Universe Import time/delay in confirmation dialog box

We had a minor change (added 2 objects) to the universe & now every time the universe is imported, it takes ages! :evil:

The size of the universe & the LOV’s together was & is around 17 MB.
(We need the “export with univ” option)

After a little research, I realized the Universe actually gets imported in the same 3-5 minute time frame ( I was watching the directory
Application data\BO\Universes )

But the confirmation message shows up after 20 minutes or more.

Any suggestions please?

fixmyspcbar (BOB member since 2007-03-02)

What version of BO are you using.

I have experienced something similar to this in XI R2, but it was during importing universes, not exporting.

plessiusa :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-22)

I guess you meant…Exporting & not Importing?

We’re using XI 3.1

No I actually did mean Importing.

I was thinking about this last night and I have had this happen on the odd occasion in R3, but it doesn’t happen all the time. Usually when it does Designer is having a little meltdown, I shut it down and after that it’s fine again. I’m picking though that for you this is not the issue.
Can I suggest that if you are unhappy with this behaviour that you raise a support call with SAP Business Objects, or do a search in their knowledge base.

I know exactly what you’re referring to. Designer does that very often & when restarted, It usually works just fine.
This time it didn’t! :frowning:

Could there be anything outside the universe that’s affecting the performance?
I don’t see anything obvious, but I might be wrong.

We’re already planning to switch reporting tools now, SAP’s support has gone from bad to worse.
The “Unhandled win32 exception…” error pops up every other time you open designer/Desk-I & that ticket’s been logged with SAP for ages!

Seriously if you are having issues with SAP support, you need to escalate the issue. I was very lucky here in Australia that I know the person who manages support in South East Asia and if I ever had a problem with a support call, I could ring him and he would get on top of it for me.
You need to talk to your SAP Rep and get them to push the issue for you.

I’ve actually seen support turn around from really bad to actually be quite good, but don’t get me wrong, I’ve had friends in different organisations who are saying the same as you.

Now back to the issue at hand.

Can I ask, did you take a backup of the universe before you migrated. If so, can I suggest that you migrate this back into your environment and see if the problem still occurs. If you don’t have a backup, have you removed the new objects you added?

If you do still have a copy of the old universe, can I also suggest that you do a universe compare, download this excel utility and then using something like Araxis to do a compare between the sheets extracted. It may (and I’m not saying that you have) be something else has changed that you are unaware of and this your two new objects were enough to send the universe over the edge (so to speak).

We ended up migrating the older version of the universe & we’re still experiencing the same issue.The universe gets migrated , but the confirmation box doesn’t show up.
So it’s gotta be the prod. server settings i guess! But nothing has changed there.

I haven’t yet run the compare though, will do that & see if something shows up.

Not sure how much SAP will/can do, But we’ve already switched to
SSRS & SSAS
(and yes, I’m aware of the fact that SSRS doesn’t even come close to being called a reporting tool ) :slight_smile:

Thank you!!

Hey I can’t bag the tool, I haven’t seen SSRS since its very first incarnation and that was bad, but I understand that they have made significant changes to it since then.

And of course the bonus is that it free. You can’t really beat that can you.

Good luck with it. :wave: