BusinessObjects Board

Univer Design tool Loop Limits 500

I am working in Linked universes , i have like around 10 universes which i need to merge in Drive universe the time i link the first universe it gives the loop count to 500 now i have added all the universes but still the loop count i can see is 500 , i believe there is limit for loops , expert opinion is required on that …

i am resolving the loops through context but the problem i am not able to see loops after 500

wasifkamal (BOB member since 2012-07-24)

Welcome to B :mrgreen: B!

That many loops points to bad universe design or bad database design imo.

For the universe design side - how many objects do you have?
How many tables do you have?
Why are there so many loops?

Mark you are rite that there should not be that many loops but the thing there are around 50 fact tables and 100 dimension table , i am linking 12 universes into the derive universe , its client requirement to have a 360 degree view.

Now do you have clue about the limit of loops max loop i can see is 500

I’ve never hit the limit because I’ve never had that many loops!

How many of those facts are actual base fact tables rather than aggregates or snapshot tables?
Do your reports have performance issues?
What platform is this sat on (e.g. Oracle 11g)

Database we are working on is Teradata and its client requirement to have enterprise level view for reports to perform self service BI.

Please let me know if you hear anything relevant to loop limit. thanks

What do the different universes contain?

Are these all subject area universes?

yes the universes are divided area wise and then linked in derived universe.

Why have you linked them?

There is - as far as I know - no limit on the number of loops that can exist in your universe. However, the loop screen will show only 500. I would never consider using that screen to check for loop coverage, especially since with that many loops you likely have a lot of joins that cross backwards (many to one). Consider the basic “Motors” universe which has a couple of fact tables and some aggregate tables and has dozens of loops. What you need to do is ensure that your contexts or aliases are created correctly and trust that your loops are resolved.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)