BusinessObjects Board

Unexpected data provider linking behaviour

I did a search, but couldn’t find the answer. Maybe I missed it.

Please refer to sample report attached against eFashion. It reflects a challenge I am having in the real world.

In the report, I want to show for all Shirts, the Trousers that are available to wear with (assume all trousers can be worn with any shirt :mrgreen: :yesnod:), for all items in the e-Fashion New York Magnolia store.

DP1: Store Name and SKU Desc, Line = “Shirt Waist”
DP2: Store Name and SKU Desc, Line=”City Trousers”

DP1 links to DP2 on Store Name. All data from DP1 and DP2 are shown together in one block.

I had expected the report to show 20 shirts x 6 trousers = 120 rows. Instead it shows 20 rows. I thought a “full outer join” (reducing in this case to a “full inner join” because all Store Names exist in both DPs) between the 2 DPs would return 120 rows?

Got a feeling this behaviour is how Bus Obj treats many-to-many relationship in links between 2 DPs.
eFashion join test.zip (67.0 KB)

Platypus :australia: (BOB member since 2002-10-23)

The problem is that you’re expecting linking to be a full outer join, and it is not. It allows you to correlate data providers on common dimensions.

When you link data providers, you get all of the values of the linked dimensions, merged, if you will.

You can then include additional dimensions from just ONE of the data providers, detail objects (those that have a one-to-one correspondence with one of the linked dimensions) from any of the linked data providers, and measure objects from either.

In your case, you have unlinked dimensions from two data providers, so you’re not getting what you thought you’d get.

You might try taking a look at Steve Bickerton’s Solving the Mystery of Data Provider Synchronization which is in our Bob’s Downloads forum.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks, Anita, for your help with this. Steve B’s document is always a good re-read.

So, link is associated with merge or correlate, not join. Hope my ol’ grey matter will remember it the next time round.

Platypus :australia: (BOB member since 2002-10-23)