BusinessObjects Board

Trying to Implement Context.

Hi,
I would be really thankful if anyone could guide me or provide me documents related to implementing : Ambiguous query , Incompatible Objects query , Inferred query.

My main requirement here is when running the report the user shouldn’t be prompted of any context, it should be able to choose the right context without prompting to user.

keshav11 (BOB member since 2013-09-20)

Read this topic

Moving to the correct forum.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks Nick .

But it didnt really help much.

As i said : My main requirement here is when running the report the user shouldn’t be prompted of any context, it should be able to choose the right context without prompting to user.

Is it that in IDT when we change the State of Join in “Edit Context” to Excluded/Included , we should be able to define our choice of context.

and when the state is neutral , it goes for Ambiguous query i.e it prompts all available contexts to user to choose from in report level

I don’t know how that post couldn’t help you. It sounds like your contexts are set up incorrectly.
There isn’t much detail in the type of schema etc you are reporting against.

Do you understand what this functionality actually does, I suggest you read up on it?

Basically the join paths need to be unique for you to not get a context prompt, when running a report.

Have you tried the IDT user guide or the error messages giuide?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Thanks Nick .

But it didnt really help much.

As i said : My main requirement here is when running the report the user shouldn’t be prompted of any context, it should be able to choose the right context without prompting to user.

Is it that in IDT when we change the State of Join in “Edit Context” to Excluded/Included , we should be able to define our choice of context.

and when the state is neutral , it goes more Ambiguous query i.e it prompts all available contexts to user to choose from in report level

You can define which context(path to retrieve data) to use in the report.
Just make sure it doesnt reset itself on running for new data.

IngeH :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-22)

When you have multiple join paths, assumptions (Ambiguous/Inferred query) will only lead to incorrect data. The post linked above explains the best ways to deal with multiple join paths. The only way to totally eliminate presenting the Users with a choice is to only provide a single path. Perhaps multiple Universes might suit your needs?

ChrisW1204 :us: (BOB member since 2011-04-21)

Hi,
Uncheck Reset context option in edit query mode select proper context and run the report and save the report.from next run onwards report will not prompt for the context.

Regards,
Surya.

Suryaj (BOB member since 2012-05-28)

I believe you lose this setting if you purge the data from the report. You may also face issues if you amend the contexts definition in Designer.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Bottom line is: In many scenarios the universe contexts are defined more or less by the various fact tables, therefore by measures (=key figures). If your users include at least one measure then most of the times the BusObjects universe engine can determine the unique universe context matching your selection and you will not be prompted to select a universe context. Or as Steve Krandel used to put it: If you are prompted to select a universe context, you built the contexts/universe wrong.

For example:
Imagine two dimension tables: Customer and Time period , which are joined to both fact tables: Credit history with credit amount and Call Log activity with Call Duration .
If your users only pull in Customer dimension and Time Period dimension then how are those two dimensions related to each other? Via Credit history fact or via Call Log Activity fact? BusObjects would not know and therefore prompt you to select one of two universe context candidates in my scenario. But as soon as you pull in at least one measure from the fact tables then BusObjects can decide on which universe context to use for the SQL code without prompting you for it.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)