BusinessObjects Board

Tomcat or Websphere which one is best

Just to update this very intersting thread, The above hasn’t been my experience in the UK. BO has said there is no problem with having multiple intsalls of Tomcat on one machine and this will not invalidate your support contract.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Do many people use Wbsphere now ? I want to know that .

Everyone can discuss this too ? :smiley:

Arthur Huang :taiwan: (BOB member since 2007-07-04)

We’re on the verge of making a decision and we had one thing brought up that I didn’t have an answer for:

Tomcat is: "- Limited in very high user configurations "

How high are we talking here? 100? 500? 10,000?

We have a 1000 user accounts on our BOXI system, but only a small fraction of them are on at one time.

Could we get away with a Tomcat setup?

pgeadmin :us: (BOB member since 2007-02-14)

A Tomcat Server supports roughly 100 concurrent users per server (CPU and Memory hardly matters as long as you have a minimum
of one CPU and 2.5 GB memory) , if you have a need for multiple servers you can do the math.

Another way to improve tomcat scalability is to use VMWare to create multiple Virtual machines from one server . ( 4 CPU /16 GB Memory Windows Server can be split into 3 Virtual Machine Servers with 4 GB memory and 10 GB Disk space each.)

Install One instance of Tomcat on each virtual machine windows server and gain scalability.

EnterpriseArchitect :us: (BOB member since 2006-03-23)

If I wanted to add a second and third server, is there anything specific I need to setup on them to make sure that they’ll be ready for concurrent Tomcat connections?

Right now, my secondary server has a CMS running on it.

My third server, however, only has these:

Crystal Reports Job Server
Crystal Reports Page Server
Program Job Server

Is that the same setup I’d use on a Tomcat setup? (I didn’t cluster these myself).

Each Server running tomcat is considered independent and there is no load balancing for tomcat web server level.

If you have a Cisco CSS Router , it can do load balancing for the web servers and distribute the requests to one of the available web servers.

For more information , please take a look at the Architecture and Sizing post in the downloads section of this forum.

https://bobj-board.org/t/86530

But does the .NET version of Enterprise do this load balancing? Does WebSphere?

Also, I can’t thank you enough for this help.

Also also, that link is really useful. Thanks.

Tomcat is a java container and support sJava Infoview , if you are planning to use .NET Infoview , IIS Web Server will be a better option.

Please note that Performance Management Applications (Dashboards & Scorecards) are available in Java flavor only.

That’s the reason we’re going back and forth between Tomcat and WebSphere.

The problem is if we go with WebSphere we might not be able to make a purchase request until later this fall.

I could implement a Tomcat one with our current licensing and hardware, but we’re trying to figure out if WebSphere is a better fit.

Mean Performance management will not work in Websphere?

BOpat :us: (BOB member since 2006-11-09)

Performance Management will work in both Tomcat and Websphere. IIS is not supported for Performance Management.

Performance Management will work in both Tomcat and Websphere. IIS is not supported for Performance Management.

I do have knowledge about Tomcat. but can i know what are the Technically Limitation of Websphere?

Thanks,

BOpat :us: (BOB member since 2006-11-09)

No one has mentioned this yet, but my company uses oracle app server with an apache web server. The reason we choose this is because we already had a license for it and freeware software is frowned upon where I work. I haven’t had any major problems yet, but the user activity has been fairly small.

I did find a small bug related to settings preferences. Users are unable to set a corporate dashboard as their homepage in infoView. This was accepted as a defect by BOBJ support and they said it was specific to oracle app server.

I will comment that BOBJ probably doesn’t fully test their code on all app servers. Tomcat probably gets the most testing from Business Objects.

bension (BOB member since 2005-09-01)

Yep sure first developped for tomcat jsp windows thus more tested :wink: and also widespread and free.

Regards

Hi,

"The maximum amount of memory that can be handled by tomcat 5.0.27 supported by B.O in XI R2 is 1.4 GB. "

Is there a way to increase the memory by changing this memory settings
-Xmx1g and -Xms4g

Our current BO environment is dual core - 4 CPU 4 GB RAM.

Thanks,

coolguy (BOB member since 2006-05-24)

One cannot increase the Tomcat Java Heap memory which is a max of 1.4 GB but more optimal at 1024 MB setting.

One can try to configure running multiple instances of Tomcat on the same machine to increase the memory utilization .

Thankyou EnterpriseArchitech.

Can you point me where i can find a document or steps to install & configuring multpile instances of Tomcat for BO.

Also, is this model supported by BO Support?

Thanks

coolguy (BOB member since 2006-05-24)

I have yet to find decent documentation on this topic but you can google for some tips. Tech Support in U.S is recommending that one add more windows servers to make tomcat scalable by running one instance of tomcat per server machine .

I had an opportunity to speak with product group manager yesterday and they are going to change the Java product architecture in the B.O XI Release 3 (code name titan) to make this more scalable.

I think this thread is beginning to get off-topic. For those who would like to discuss installation of Tomcat server, please start a new thread on that topic.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)