BusinessObjects Board

Tomcat and services memory & other memory questions

Hi,

I’m searching for informations on how to tweak parameters on Tomcat and in the servers in the CMC for a medium-sized single server (let’s say a few hundred headers, ten or twenty making reports, and no idea about the CONCURRENT users… without many publications).

About Tomcat: I have not found anything about good values for the initial heap size or the max size? More important: how do I see that the current size is not enough?
About the servers: there are many PDFs and blogs on the web, I’ll read them. What would be good defaults? Is it a good idea to increase the memory size of the APS to 2 or 4g? How do I see that the current setup is not enough?

Do you know of any simple way to stress-test a BI server?

Do the memory requirements with SP6 are the same as SP2? With SP2 we had the feeling that 12Gb were barely acceptable, is it better with SP6?

Thanks!

KFonMurphi :fr: (BOB member since 2007-10-16)

Are you talking XI3.1 or BI4? The APS answers will be different depending.
I’ve seen LoadRunner used to stress test a server.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

This is with BI4 (like the topic says :wink: )

KFonMurphi :fr: (BOB member since 2007-10-16)

:oops:
I assume you’ve read this? Dallas Marks also has good information about this on his blog…for the APS it basically depends how (and if) you’ve split it out. 12Gb certainly is low - the minimum recommendation being 16Gb I think…with 32Gb being preferable. One thing is for sure, the switch from SP2 to SP6 will not make the product less memory hungry :blue:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I would also recommend you read through the sizing guides and pattern books for 4.0 they have some recommendations for memory handling.

Mike Murray :us: (BOB member since 2005-12-23)

16 GB is MINIMUM for the server hosting SAP BI BusObjects.

For Tomcat alone 8 GB Max JAVA Heap size is recommended, add to that splitting of APS: charting/CVOM Engine at about 2-4 GB RAM of Max JAVA Heap size & 8+ GB RAM max Java Heap size for DSL Bridge (assuming your are using UNX/BICS), etc.

Regarding CPU cores: at least 6 cores, consider one core for each service.

Add BusObjects Explorer on top of that with respect to sizing

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I’m working on a sizing exercise myself. It will be installed on SUSE Linux.

What would be the ideal server size and configuration?

I used the sizing tool and just found the results from that completely confusing.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Main thing for BI 4.0 is minimum of quad core CPU with 64 GB RAM. In production you will have a distributed architecture so ask for more RAM (64+) for each physical machine which will contain BO Services.

Login to SAP support portal using the SAP user id.
a)Go throught the Sizing Companion Guide for BI 4.0, its free.
b) Use the Sizing calculator.

For Adaptive processing Server sizing

a)use Dallas Marks Blog.
b) Also follow the forum article by heart: SAP BI 4.0 - adaptive processing servers

asarma (BOB member since 2009-07-15)

@Eileen:

a) How many concurrent users?
b) What kind of users (normal/less active, intermediate, power users)?
c) How large are the involved documents/reports (small, medium, large)
d) Is SAP BW involved as a data source?
e) Which frontend tols are we talking for which user groups (webi, CR, etc.) and see a) and b)

You should start with a minimum of 6 CPU cores and 32 GB RAM (64 GB RAM as a starting point is IMHO too much). If you use SAP BusObjects Explorer add another 4 CPU cores and another 8 GB RAM at least on top.

Do you require High-Availability or failover?
I do offer sizing services btw :wink:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

@King

Have a look at the updated BI4 Sizing Guide.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50770d8f-5606-3010-28a6-9e3bb14ec6a7?QuickLink=index&overridelayout=true&58475979923237

asarma (BOB member since 2009-07-15)