BusinessObjects Board

Steps for making cascading of prompts in BO XI

Hi All,

I need to make cascading of prompts in BO XI Rel 2.
I have created cascading LOVS in the designer as:

For this 3 hierarchies objects:

“Activiy 1 Name”

"Activiy 2 Name"

"Activiy 3 Name"

The designer has created required lovs and found in “Edit” lovs option.Found query formed correctly using @variable.

Now what I need is, want to create 3 prompts using @Prompts in designer and use cascading of prompts feature.

Created “Prompt for Trader 1” ,“Prompt for Trader 2” and “Prompt for Trader 3” using :

Syntax:

TRADER_1.TRD_1_CODE IN @Select(Level 1 Trader\Level 1 Trader Desc)

Repeated same for 2 and 3 for Trade levels.

When I am using this prompts in the reporter, it is not showing the correct query and not forming any cascading of prompts( I think I am missing some thing ).

Can you please. explain how to use cascading of prompts in the BO XI?
Any POC/ reference docs will be very much help full.

Thanks
Soma

reachsoma (BOB member since 2005-04-27)

I’m not sure I understand completely what the issue is, but have you following the steps outlined in this FAQ entry?

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Hi,

This link gives the steps to cascading of prompts using older version of BO.

BO XI introduced new feature of cascading of prompts.

I would like to know how to make cascading of prompts in BO XI?

Any idea on this please.

Thanks
Som

That was only for Crystal Reports. Is that what you’re using?

In XIr1, the Business View Manager is used to create cascading list of prompts, and as Michael stated they were usable only in Crystal Reports. In XIr2, those same cascading prompts can be used in Live Office. Additionally, in XIr2 it is possible to build cascading prompts in universes with Designer, meaning they can now be used in Desktop Intelligence and Web Intelligence documents as well.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

But, I suspect that the cascading prompts have the same flaw that they have in Crystal Reports – that the “higher levels” of the prompts only restrict what choices you see in the “lower levels” of the prompts – and do not ultimately impose a restriction on the rows returned – can anyone confirm that?

I.e., let’s say you built a cascading prompt for Country - City – and both the U.K. and the U.S. happened to have a city named London.

If your cascading prompt started with Country and ended with City – and you picked U.K. / London – the condition would only limit to the City “London”. So - the data for London, U.S. would still be returned unless you explicitly imposed the limit for Country as well.

Or – have they fixed that in XI r2?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I guess it might be nice to have an option … create higher level conditions (yes / no) … but I don’t think I would want it to be automatic. It is reasonable to me that the report designer should know / control where the higher level conditions are required.

Let’s think about how this works. Conditions use LOVs. LOVs don’t create conditions. LOVs are often generic. They are based on a specific database object, but can be applied to many different database objects. Classic case would be LOV based on a dimension table, but applied to a field on a fact table. I can’t really visualize how this “automatic higher level application” would be possible … at least not without a lot of complexity.

As always, just my opinion.

Yes, that would be my druthers as well.

I understand about the possibility of LOVs being generic – but oftentimes, folks don’t make them so. And the lack of an option to have cascading LOVs impose the limits that appear to be selected can be deceiving.

So – I agree – let’s have a way for the report designer to choose, but make the choice possible. :wink:

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

I am able to create lovs for required prompt objects…would like to create the cascading of prompt in the XI designer.

Any ideia on how to create this in universe?

So that these prompts will be available for making desktop and Webi reports.

Thanks
Som

As discussed, this is a feature if Designer XIr2 only. Go to Tools, Lists of Values…, Create cascading Lists of Values…

Thanks for info…still i need some clarification.

I am very well understood up to creation of “cascading list of values” in designer(BO XI Rel 2) for the required objects.

I have created “cascading lovs” for the following objects:

For this 3 hierarchies objects:

“Activiy 1 Name”

“Activiy 2 Name”

"Activiy 3 Name

Now , I would like to know how to create prompts using this objects in the Designer XI Rel 2 using @prompt.

Like to create “Prompt for Trader 1” and 2 etc in the designer XI Rel 2.

Please let me know how to proceed further.

Thanks
Som

Som,

The steps for using the @prompt in XIr2 are the same as in previous versions. You’ll find the instructions in the Designer guide (PDF).

Thanks for your info.

Thanks
Som