BusinessObjects Board

State of the BO Job Market

Is there still much demand for BusinessObjects skills in your part of the world? Very quiet here in the north of England. Power BI seems to be the “reporting” tool of choice, even though it’s not a reporting tool. SAP’s purchase and the price increases seems to have really killed off the user of it among smaller businesses. :frowning:

1 Like

I agree, but what makes you say that Power BI is not a reporting tool? Is it because the lack of simple excel output reports out of the system? Is it more of a dashboarding tool? The market here in the US for BO is kind of slow as well.

We are moving very slowly to Power BI - probably several years on that - but very entrenched in BOBJ for corporate reporting. We actually have a challenge finding people with BOBJ skills for our open positions.

PowerBI seems more like analytics/dashboards than reporting. I really do like the Teams integration with PowerBI though.

As FrustratedScot says, it’s more about analytics and dashboarding than reporting.

SSRS is the reporting tool but it’s too tech-heavy for my liking, whereas BO is a great pick up and analyse tool for non-technical people.

We are moving to a new ERP system and phasing out BOBJ to be replaced by the ERP report writing tool, Power BI and Power BI report builder. After developing with Crystal and Webi for 15+ years the MS stack takes some getting used to. Power BI has some limitations when using directquery and Power BI report builder doesn’t have as much or the same functionality as crystal.
As an administrator I will miss the CMC and audit functionality. The ease of administration and the ability to run a report to tell who runs what reports when and how long the report runs is useful information. When I asked how to get this info from Power BI report server I was told I could write a report using the log files or get a 3rd party tool.

1 Like

Finding the same here, South East England. I’m currently on a Business Objects project but it’s the first one for 5 years. Lots of PowerBI work around, but it doesn’t seem as powerful and administering security is a nightmare.

I’m working on BO System yet. Business Objects is still a tool used from some important company. I’m sure it’s not the best on graphics, dashboarding and so on.
But it’s always a Enterprise tools with objects shared which representing a single version of the truth. I know, MicroStrategy (as Enteriprise tool reporting) is really better than BO but Tableau, Power BI needs to build queries and recreate the same objects more time…