BusinessObjects Board

Slow performance running the job server on a virtual machine

Hi,

We’re running 11.7.0.1 job server on a Windows Server 2003 virtual machine with a couple of Xeon (3GHz) and 2Gb of memory. The underlying box has 4Gb and 4 Xeon’s in it.

All our dataflows pull data out of SQL Server 2000 and put it back. The database is on a separate machine to the job server.

We’re experiencing extremely high CPU even for a test data flow that just pulls data out and puts it back into a different empty table. ie. source>query>target. CPU is around 60% for this dataflow. If I add a single cached lookup it’s using 80% and obviously any more logic than that it just flatlines the CPU on the VM. However the underlying hardware never gets above 50%.

Anyone got experience of running the job server on a Windows Server 2003 virtual machine?

Ideas?

Cheers
megablst

megablst :uk: (BOB member since 2006-03-03)

We’ll be moving our dev environment to a VM (VMware, I think) shortly, so I’ll post here if something seems bad.

dnewton :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-30)

We did for 3 months and I just moved everything from a virtual machine with 2 gig of memory to a dual CPU box with 8 gig of memory. We definitely experienced the 100% CPU usage problem under VMware. I would not recommend running anything other than a development job server on a virtual machine. It works but resource contention will become a problem eventually.

Grant

ukchucktown (BOB member since 2007-04-03)

Checkout above discussion. There are quite a few benchmark numbers for the VMWare.

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

When you say above that the CPU was used 60% or 100%, do you mean the Virtual server’s CPU, or the underlying physical box? The thing I’ve learned lately is – the CPU utilization % for the virtual machine seems to be more or less irrelevant, at least with our VMware setup. It looks really bad but the dataflows don’t really run slower than you’d expect they would.

dnewton :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-30)

We have tried using VMWare servers for our DI Production environment - performance was really, really, really bad although our VMware servers are very powerful. (Using DI 11.5.3 and SQL Server 2000).

We then purchased some Dual Xeon Clovertown CPU machines with 4GB RAM and performance has been very good with these “real” servers. We’re no longer persuing DI and virtual environments any longer wthin our company.

ErikR :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2007-01-10)