BusinessObjects Board

Slice and Dice not here in Version 6!

Hi All,

I have just started with a new company, which has V6.5.1, (I am used to V5), and the Slice-and-Dice icon/option is not available - its not greyed out - its just not there!

Any ideas??? - is this normal? - I hope not!!!

Thanks,

Snake.

snakeboy :uk: (BOB member since 2003-12-02)

See the following topic:

saswati :uk: (BOB member since 2005-06-13)

Morning,

Thanks Saswati, but I saw this and tried it before posting - in vain! i.e. It doesnā€™t seem to make any difference, I think it might have something to do with the install or something like that - as itā€™s not there for anyone - itā€™s not that itā€™s greyed out, or that we cant see it - it just looks like this version doesnt have it - across all usersā€¦ All other ā€˜normalā€™ icons and options are thereā€¦ so it must be something specific to Slice and Diceā€¦?

Any ideas???

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Hi,

Have you tried looking at the command restrictions in Supervisor? You may find that the restriction(s) relating to slice and dice (canā€™t remember what these are off the top of my head) have been hidden for all users. You should also be able to find out if any command restrictions have been hidden/disabled etc by querying against the repository - I think this info is in the OBJ_M_RESLINK table.

I guess you can always ask the person who installed the version at your site. They may be able to give you an indication of what was and what wasnā€™t installed.

Michael D

MichDudl (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

Hi,

Thanks Mich, tried that tho - looks to me like everything is enabled - especially the Slice and Dice bit, tried disabling it and then re-enabling it to see if that made any difference but it didnt!..

Thanks anyway, any other ideas?

Steve

Hi,

Were you able to speak to the person who installed this version at your workplace? If not, are there any installation notes/instructions that would give you some indication of what was installed etc?

How about installing on a different pc as you would do normally to see what components etc are installed and then check to see whether you can see the slice and dice icon on this pc.

Good luck.

Michael D

MichDudl (BOB member since 2002-08-19)

Hi Mich,

Uh no notes so nothing to help me! Will try to install on another pc and see what happens! Good idea!

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve

Did you manage to resolve this? I am experiencing the same problems - using 6.5. I have users who have been using Slice & Dice and now the option is no longer there. I managed to resolve one user by de-installing version 6.5, de-installing v5 and re-installing 6.5. However the current users do not have v5 on their pcā€™s.

The only thing I can think is to re-install again but this will be time-consuming and I sense itā€™ll be a regular occurence.

Amanda

Amanda (BOB member since 2003-09-19)

Hi Steve

If you are getting this problem only on one or two PCs then this is a problem with the installation. Try to delete the user preferences and try to run the report. If this also doesnt resolve then try to do a fresh re-installation of BO.

If this is happening to all the users in the company then that is something to do with your license. Just check if your license is having that.

Hope this helps.

Bā€¦

bobjkb :india: (BOB member since 2004-03-19)

Bā€¦

I had reached the conclusion that it was a licence key issue since we are using a few different keys, some have access to all products and some do not.

I am getting a user to test using one of the full product key and see what happens. As Slice and Dice should be standard functionality in v6, I canā€™t see how a key that includes FC should have an impact on this function. It may be that somewhere along the line 6.5 has got confused.

Does anyone know of a bug - I did search the knowledge base a few weeks ago but couldnā€™t find anything?

Iā€™ll update you on on my userā€™s reinstallation and how successful/stable it is!

Amanda

Hi

I dont think this is a bug. This is definitely a license issue. Your license should also have the ability to do analysis. May be your license do not have that.

Bā€¦

bobjkb :india: (BOB member since 2004-03-19)

But my understanding from searching this forum was that Explorer (ie Drill & Analysis) was packaged in Version 6 and you did not have to buy a separate licence for it. However in Ver5 (and prior versions) this was purchased separately.

Please feel to correct me if my understanding is wrong!

Just to let you know, I have tried to delete the user settings but could still not see the Slice & Dice Panel. The next step is an re-installation. Iā€™ll post on how we get on.

Amanda

Morning,

Well it seems to have been sorted out now - I tried to do a reinstall, and found out that our licence keys were incomplete - they ommited the reporter sections (Looks like when we upgraded the package they only sent the licences for the upgraded sections - not the whole lot!) :roll_eyes:

Eventually a new key was sent out that included reporter and i reinstalled BOB on all of the FC machines. ā€¦Slice and Dice is now here! Yipee! - Ahem, should i get excited by that!!! :rotf:

Amanda; check your keys for the explorer section and also the dates included - might have expired???

Regards,

Steve.

Morning!

So glad you have it fixed. I would be just as excited as you if it worked!

Iā€™ve tried a re-install with a different key but to no avail. But youā€™ve hit the nail on the head - looking at the data there is NO Explorer in the Licence Key. So we need a new Licence Key which includes this.

Many thanks for your help - will get a new file and try a reinstall and Iā€™m sure it will work.

Amanda