BusinessObjects Board

Sizing: reportjobserver

LS

In the BOXI R2 Enterprise sizing guide when reading about the reportjobserver there’s only information about the number of cpu’s that is needed to support the reportjobserver. However, it doesn’t say anything about requirements for adding additional reportjobservers.

I’m working in an environment with lots of simultaneously processed schedules (scheduled at the same time) so I’d like to know if it’s an option to add reportjobservers (and how many).

Can anyone clarify? thnx!

alonso (BOB member since 2004-03-01)

hi there!

take a look at this. i hope it helps. also i have a pdf paper but uploading pdf is not allowed here due to copyright infringement and i cant locate the pdf in the internet. huhuhu. anyways, take a look at this:

regards,
r.A.

R.A. :philippines: (BOB member since 2008-10-28)

Hello alonso,

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer :smiley: but I will speak out. Having worked at many places as an architect/consultant and dealing with different scenarios, I would suggest you the following.

1. Yes there is an option to add more reportjobservers(from CCM on windows install or serverconfig.sh command in an unix install)

2. As the sizing guide recommends, 1 Jobserver for 1CPU can ideally support 5 jobs(complex or medium complex depending on the refresh times). In my observation, you can stretch this to 7-8 jobs/Jobserver if the reports are an easy/medium refresh. You can make this changes from the properties of the job server from CMC

Ex. Assuming the reports are medium complex based on the refresh times, 8-CPU machine - > can have 8 job servers for one CPU each or 2 job servers each set for 20 simultaneous jobs.

It is a best practise to have just 2 job servers processing 20 jobs each rather than have 8 job servers processing 5 jobs each unless you are implementing server groups for scheduled jobs.

Let me know if this makes sense. This would be similar for XI r2 or 3.1. Any other suggestions by members is most welcome :+1:

Kevin
(BOCP - BOE)

boxiadmin :us: (BOB member since 2007-03-09)