BusinessObjects Board

Single Repository or Multiple Repositories (Opinion Sought!)

Hi Everyone,

We have 2 repositories, TEST and LIVE, with the usual 3 domains in each.

However, I read that having 2 repositories may not be the way to go with BusinessObjects, and indeed we had some problems with keeping track of which universe is up to date on which environment  :crazy_face:   . 

Now, if we do go with the one repository, how do we handle development ? I want to know your experiences/implementations. I mean, when developing reports, do you create a group and post all development reports to it ? if they are named in the same way, wouldn't they overwrite the 'production' reports held in other groups ? so then do you have give the reports another title ?. 

What do you think is an ideal repository set up  :?  ?. Here is our setup information :

BO : 6.5.1
WebI : 6
Webserver : IIS
Repository DB : MS SQL Server
Warehouse DB : MS SQL Server
O/S : 2003

Your advice/opinion is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Veronica

Veronica (BOB member since 2002-11-22)

Hi,

First have a look to this FAQ

Regards

Thanks for that, I have now created a new development document database (to be used as a development document domain) and a new universe database (to be used as a development universe domain) and will use them in the single repository going forward, so now we will hopefully have :

-Security Domain
-Document Domain (production)
-Document Domain (development)
-Universe Domain (production)
-Universe Domain (development)

…being on MS SQL Server, I managed to have the dba’s make a copy of (and rename) our future development document and universe domains (on the same server) and tried to add them using the Supervisor module.

I created the ODBC drivers for these new domains on the server, and so when trying to add them in Supervisor I get the message “A repoistory domain of that type already exists for the connection. Please change the type or set up a new connection

I looked in BOB for this, found various posts, but they all derail into something else without seemingly solving the issue. I don’t understand where it’s going wrong :hb: so in a nutshell this is what’s happening…

I’ve got 2 new MS SQL Server ‘databases’ that are copies of existing document and universe domains (they have different names of course, to reflect development), I create the ODBC connection to them, trying to add them using the Supervisor, and get the message mentioned above about connection already existing. Any suggestions ?. Please help :frowning: !!

Veronica:

Your post was difficult to understand, I could not figure out what is your issue?

The queries coming to my mind are:

1. which are your existing domains you are referring to, Are these you already stated in your 2nd post?
  2. Do you want to add connections to domains you made ?

Please explain in brief, what you have right now on each of the databases ? Which domain where, DB1 or DB2 etc. To get the correct repsonse to your issue.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Hi irfanahmed786,

Thanks for your response.

Ok, on an MS SQL Database, this is what I have right now :

-BO Security Domain
-BO Universe Domain (production)
-BO Document Domain (production)

I want to add 2 new domains, document, and universe, both to be used for development purposes. So, what I did was :

1. Made copies of both existing document/universe production databases, and renamed the copies to development ones.
  2. Went to the Supervisor module to add those 2 new databases as additional domains, and that’s when I got the error message I mentioned.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,
Veronica

Veronica Wrote:

That is not the best practice to create Universe and Document Domains. Because when you create these domains, It will create a set of tables and indexes on those tables.

It looks to me like you might have missed something while copying those tables!!

The best way to create is:
option 1) Supervisor --> Tools --> Repository --> Click Add --> Select Universe or Document domain --> follow the wizard by providing username/password…etc.

option 2) you must use complete SQL for creating tables and indexes for respective domains.

That will create the domains, After that, re-create the bomain.key with ‘Safe recovery option’.

Good Luck.

Hi Irfan,

Thanks for that, I figured out what the problem was. 

The user I was using to create the domains did not have the database priveliges to create tables etc, as soon as I used a database user with the right profile the tables were created, and the new domains are now up and running !.

Thanks,
Veronica.

That’s good to know, you sorted out yourself.!!!
Sorry, I haven’t pointed it out, it was out of my mind… :smiley: