BusinessObjects Board

Setting up Business Objects

Hi,

Can anyone suggest me the steps to go when we want to set up business objects in a new team/project. I am working as a BO developer presently and would be moving to a team where in, they are planning to set up BO afresh. They asked me to write down the various steps /things to be planned for setting up BO in that team.
Any ideas on comprehensive BI environment deployment afresh in a project?

Thanks,
Madhuri

madhurikiran (BOB member since 2006-02-03)

what kind of team are you talking about? Are you attempting to create new group within supervisor that will have access to specific universes and bca’s and etc, etc? will the team have restricted acesss to other group information? you are lacking lots of information. can you be more specific on what kind of project this :lol:

bunkersoverbo :us: (BOB member since 2006-08-16)

You need to define the parameters and objectives of your assignment.
Based on the size and scale of the proposed and/or current installation, along with corporate budget constraints, and resources, roles and responsiblities, what exactly do you have to do or deliver?

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

We have a corporate sales department where in, they decided to use BO as the reporting tool. DWH is in place and BO deployment need to be started.
Now, only BO related activities need to be planned an dkicked off. There will be around 50-100 users for BO reports.
With this brief note and keep aside all the budgetary constraints, can you suggest me a set of activities (atleast Highlevel but detailed would be highly apprecaited!) that need to be planned and administered for bringing BO(XIR2) in place?

Thanks in advance for any inputs!!

-Madhuri

madhurikiran (BOB member since 2006-02-03)

"BO deployment need to be started. "
Are you trying to install BO ? meaning you only have a DWH? What kind of database does that reside in? What version of Business Objects are you trying to deploy? How will the users connect to the database? Will they be Zabo users or FC ? :smiley:

bunkersoverbo :us: (BOB member since 2006-08-16)

Download the zip from Universe Proj. Plan & Checklist

One of the docs is "The Guides Project - Universe Designers contains considerations in setting up the project team and creating the Universe etc.’

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

A) Decide which platform: Windows or Unix

B) Decide what kind of application server to use. I recommend JSP, because PM (Performance Management) will only run using JSP.

C) How many concurrent users will access the system? How many will be using Deski, Webi, etc.

D) How critical is the system for the business/company?
Think about clustering BOE, SAN for the Input/Output File Repository (FRS), a highly available database hosting the CMS database, and clustered application & web servers.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)