BusinessObjects Board

Setting an incompatible object

Having a Friday brain-fart here. How can I set an incompatible object if I’m not using aggregate tables?

I have a fairly simple universe, not using any contexts or aggregate awareness. However, I have 2 tables in this universe (table A and table B) posing an issue for me. Table A consists of multiple dimensions and measures. If they also select any objects from table B, I want to prevent them from using any of the measures in table A. The relationship from table A to B is one to many (for each key value in table A, there are one or many values in B), which is why I want to prevent users from using the A measures when hitting B.

I tried going into Aggregate Aware, selecting table B in the left pane, and checking the measure objects from table A as incompatible. It doesn’t seem to work, and I’ve assumed this is because there really isn’t an aggregate relationship. How do I prevent the users from using the measures in A?

JohnCW :us: (BOB member since 2004-08-05)

Hi John,

What you described looks to me as a fan trap and needs to be solved as such.

You need to create an alias of A and join it to A. Then you need to create 2 contexts:

1. A — aliasA
  2. A — B
    and also you need to re-point the measures from the table A to the table aliasA. It means there will be no measure based on A. Just measures based on either aliasA or B.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)