BusinessObjects Board

security using a look up table

Hi,
I am attempting to build a universe based off a denormalized datawarehouse.

Our company does not want to use the BOBJ row column level security based on user and groups. But they would rather use a look up table(s) in the datawarehouse.

So, I don’t know much about this. Here’s what we are proposing:

3 tables - Super User - pretty much an administrator. PK Lan_id
Oper Unit - users granted view rights to all data for a given oper unit to data that is flagged for different subject areas, financial, hr, etc. PK Lan_Id+OU
Dept. User - users in this table are granted view rights to all data for a given dept for data that is flagged for different subject areas, financial, hr, etc. PK Lan_id+PU+Dept
A user would not be listed in the other table. Meaning Joe could not be in the SU and the OU table, it is either one or the other.

We want to capture the user by their log in credentials of Current CE User when logging into Enterprise.

Okay but these security tables are not related to any tables in the datawarehouse. And this is the disconnect I have. How do I incorporate the security tables to secure row level data?

(P.S. I did read all the other posts suggested and don’t see this answer there, just a hint to it).

Thanks!

muffntuf :us: (BOB member since 2006-01-04)

If you can not connect these security tables to the tables in the DW than there is not a way to implement this security model.
You must be able to connect the security table oper_unit OU and Dept user to similiar fields in the DW.

IF these tables were connected the Business Objects sign on would have to be their Lan_id.

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

If the Lan_id = Current CE User than we are good. You concern me as the OU and DU tables could be linked in, but the SU is the one that doesn’t make sense unless it is linked in using the OU_ID and DU_ID. Correct?

Thanks!

muffntuf :us: (BOB member since 2006-01-04)

SU is the one that doesn’t make sense unless it is linked in using the OU_ID and DU_ID. Correct? Thats the way I envision it.

You might want to review this presentation by Steve Krandel here

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)