BusinessObjects Board

Search Problem

Hi,
when I wanted to see all the posts by me(or by a specific user) by clicking on the profile, it lists all the posts by that user. When I am checking each and every post one by one, after a certain time I am told “No topic or post match your search criteria”. Any thoughts??
It seems to be a Bug in BOB :rotf: :rotf:

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Hey this happens with all the sections for the search. It shows lot more results and when clicked on next page it shows the “No topic or post match your search criteria” message.

bobjkb :india: (BOB member since 2004-03-19)

Agree. For example:
A serach pulled out hundred posts, when I clikced on the second post I was told “No topic or post match your search criteria”. You know how I trick this situation evertime?? Click on the last post(100 in this example). It will show you results. Go back and click on the secon post, it works!!
Looking for aa more better solution.
Thanks in advance!!
Faisal

THis some times happen even with the default searches like the Unanswered posts or recent posts etc.

We have some code updates coming soon that will hopefully help address this.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks for addressing this Dave

That’s music to my ears, Dave :lol:

Great tip, Zack. I will use your technique until the code fix is implemented.

BoB LoblaW :us: (BOB member since 2007-10-23)

You are welcome. Please note that inspite of some issues, BOB is a WHOLE LOT BETTER when compared to other forums that exist on this planet and may be other planets as well. :wink:

One of the upcoming fixes has been put into action on this board as it was a very simple change that I just discovered while working on BOB updates this weekend. (And no, none of the other updates are ready yet, but this one was a very simple change.)

A short description: when you enter a search, the net result is a list of topic or post ID values. Those values are stored in a comma separated list of values which is then stored in a text string. In some cases where a very large search result set is returned that list of values would overflow the 65K text field, and result in a “no search results found” message.

The very simple fix that I did was remove the space in the comma separated list of values. :slight_smile: So instead of topic ID values stored as

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

they are now stored as

. This should increase the number of “hits” you can get on a search before you overflow the text field.

I could increase the size of the field, but frankly I hit this during testing on Beta BOB tonight when a search returned 420 pages of results. Be honest… are you really going to read 420 pages of results? :wink: I think a better plan is to go back and refine the search to try to limit the result set more.

If anyone can give me a reproducable search that generates the “page 2 search failure” bug on a repeatable basis, I would be more than happy to develop a fix. But as with most technical challenges, without a reproducable error, it’s difficult sometimes to track down the root cause of the problem.

If you do get the error, please tell me how many topics or posts you had for hits (matches) and how many pages of search results were predicted. You can get both of these answers from page one of your search results.

Thanks.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave, I am still facing this error. The number of Pages returned for the search were are 34 though.

On a separate note, the topic New features in XI R3.0(Titan) in the XI server discussion forum has the version spelled incorrectly(XI R3.0 instead of XI3.0). Not sure whether this is something useful, but I thought it might help in avoiding the confusion regarding the version. Here is the link to that topic: