BusinessObjects Board

Search doesn't return any results for precise match...

If I search for b Error during execution of 5.0 macro[/b] then I get no results.

If I search for Error during execution I get two pages worth, including posts with “(0) Error during execution of 5.0 macro” in their title.

I am searching on title and message body, and all forums.

Am I missing something obvious here?

RobinM :uk: (BOB member since 2003-02-25)

Eileen is the search queen but…

I thought it might have something to do with the (0) or the 5.0 and left those out. It found your stuff without them. I remember something about punctuation being a problem. Did you take a look at Eileen’s search document located here?

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

As I recall, the “.” is the issue! This poses a problem also when you want to search for version numbers…Punctuation is ignored…

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

When I get the chance, I’ll see just what the search program is trying to do with that phrase. However, the best advice is to leave out version numbers or anything less than 3 letters as those words are supposed to be ignored anyway.

If I do a search for Error during execution macro it works fine. If I include the 5.0 it doesn’t. It should, as far as I know, but it doesn’t seem to work.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Just verifying. Currently there is no way to search using version number.

cparsons :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-20)

That is correct.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Is there any chance this could be changed? I am completely ignorant of the mechanism behind it so I don’t know how feasible this is, but I do think it would help more accurate searching.
One of the projects I’m working on now is moving from v5 to v6.5, and obviously in doing so will want to be searching for v6/v6.5 related matters. This post here for example, may well have been answered or discussed already elsewhere, but I couldn’t come up with any search terms to find it.

Please let me say, I am very grateful to all the folk who run BoB, it is a massively valuable BusObj resource :smiley: I just think that if you could search for version numbers it would reduce some of the duplicate posting and thus make it a more concentrated resource of information and support.

RobinM :uk: (BOB member since 2003-02-25)

The BOB Search works using an internal database table/index that has all non-common words that are at least 3 characters long – and the period is one of the separators for breaking into “words”. Hence version numbers like 5.0 get broken into two words “5” and “0”, neither of which get added to the index, since they’re less than 3 characters long.

However, you do have an alternative. At the bottom of every page is a “Google” search. Very-recent pages might not have yet been captured by Google – but you can search for specific strings such as mentioned here, by enclosing in quote marks: “(0) Error during execution of 5.0 macro” . So give the Google search a try and see if you find exactly what you want.

Bobarella (BOB member since 2004-02-12)

That is precisely why the google search was added. However, there are problems with that as well. :slight_smile: If you search for version numbers, then you will find that google indexes not only the text of the post but user signatures as well. So searching for version numbers may turn up hundreds (or thousands, depending on the individual) of posts by a particular person just because they are using that version and say so in their signature.

Regular BOB searches do not include signatures and will not have this problem.

Regarding the request to add version numbers to the search database… at this time it would require that all short words be included, and that includes “a” “or” “an” “uh” and so on. Even if we only include numbers there’s no way to determine if someone was entering a version number or simply using digits of some kind.

Being able to search by version may have value, but it would probably double (if not more) the size of our search keywords table. The search program is one of the most closely scrutinized pieces of code on thsi forum. :slight_smile: We have looked at quite a few different options for tuning or otherwise altering the system. However, at the moment there are no major changes planned.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)