BusinessObjects Board

SDK / Macro for Loading objects and classes in universe

Hi All,

Just wanted to check if there is any macro of some sort or sdk that can be user to load the universe classes and objects into the designer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Narain.

narainmajji :us: (BOB member since 2006-04-27)

Load from where? And why, when you can just drag and drop the table from the right to the left in Designer and the objects are created automatically? Object names not to your liking? A utility like this one can help to update the names and descriptions.

That said, a macro could be written to create classes and objects, but I’m not aware of one that’s already written.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi Dwayne,

I know that pulling the tables would create classes and objects but they would rather be database oriented than business oriented and moreover we are not using all the columns in the table and some require some custom tweaking in the where clause. so I was wondering if we could get all this inputs in sort of excel sheet and build a macro out of it that can be used in the designer.

Thanks,
-Narain.

Why build them via an Excel sheet rather than directly in Designer? I, for one, have trouble understanding why you’d want to do the design in Excel rather than in the tool which was intended to be used for this purpose.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Our company does have a tool that will load everything from a spreadsheet into a universe and will also update a universe (this includes, Classes, Object Names, Object Types, Descriptions, Select and Where Clauses, table joins and everything else you can do in designer). In addition, it can compare two universes for changes. We have not finalized the support for the tool just yet, but I can add you to the list when it is ready for production.

To Anita’s point, generally we recommend using the Designer tool itself, it works best, but there are occasions such as OEM partners who have to do massive updates for universes that are customized for each OEM client. The tool comes in quite handy. It can take 3 weeks of universe work and complete in about 3 to 6 hours in most cases.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I don’t have a final price on the tool, we are still working out details. But, I can update you on the details when I know more.

MayhewM :us: (BOB member since 2003-10-22)

Hi Michael,

This is great , this is the kind of tool we are currently looking for and yes it would be great help for us as we are OEM Partners and we build base universes for our clients which have like 600+ objects, currently we are evaluating a tool by ebiexperts which can be used for migration and universe comparison but doesnt have the ability to load data into universes. So we would be very much interested in knowing the details of your product, please do keep me in loop for any updates and once its into production you could probably arrange for a demo or something.

Thanks,
-Narayan

narainmajji, can you send your contact information to mmayhew_63@hotmail.com? I have some additional questions that we should take off-line.

Thanks,

If the product is going to be commercial (meaning not free) then it should not be discussed / developed on BOB. Thanks.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hence the reason why I gave my email address to him.

Thanks,