BusinessObjects Board

Script to set preferences for a large group

Once upon a time, I worked some place that had a script that ran on the server. I am pretty sure it came from BOB years ago. It would use 1 account as an example to set the preferences for a group that you named. We had a group called Set Preferences that we would put the necessary users in. We would manually set the preferences for one user and they became the example to follow for setting up the group. Anyone have any idea what I am talking about and where I could find that script? We started doing this in XIR2. I know it still works in 3.1.

Thanks much!
Sandy

Sandy Brotje (BOB member since 2002-07-24)

Hi Sandy,

Is it this script?

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

I think that is it. Thanks Marek!

Here are my notes:

To do this there is a utility file prefsCopyUtil.jar in C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Performance Management 11.5\setup.

Note: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Dashboard and Analytics 12.0\setup in Business Objects Enterprise XI 3.1.

This utility is used to set preferences of the particular user to the users that belong to the specified group

To run this utility

1] Copy all the files from C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Performance Management 11.5\setup and prefsCopyUtil.jar TO C:\Program Files\Business Objects\j2sdk1.4.2_08\bin.

Note: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Dashboard and Analytics 12.0\setup in Business Objects Enterprise XI 3.1.
Note: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\javasdk\bin in Business Objects Enterprise XI 3.1.

2] Put prefsCopyUtil.properties in C:\Program Files\Business Objects\j2sdk1.4.2_08\bin.

Note: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\javasdk\bin in Business Objects Enterprise XI 3.1.

3] Enter the information in .properties file.

A. The CMS to use.

CMS=<cms name>

B. Administrator user’s password.

AdminPassword= <password>

C. Type the name of the user of which you want to assign preferences to the users those belongs to the specified group

SourceUser=<user name>

D. All users in this group will have their preferences changed to be a copy of the SourceUser’s preferences.

Target Group=<group name>

4] Go to the command prompt

5] Navigate to C:\Program Files\Business Objects\j2sdk1.4.2_08\bin.

6] Run the following command:

java -jar prefsCopyUtil.jar prefsCopyUtil.Properties

7] you will be able to see the changes by logging into InfoView.

clarence (BOB member since 2005-11-18)

Ooops. Looks like you guys got it sorted out in the time it took me to find my notes.

clarence (BOB member since 2005-11-18)

The one Marek found would work, but this is the one I was thinking of. Thanks much! Have a great weekend. You made my day :smiley:

Sandy