BusinessObjects Board

Saving As .Txt

Hi

I am working on a very old version of BO , 5.1.6 , and would like to be able to export it to Excel . I can save it as a .txt file , however when I open it in Excel , all the columns are out of alignment . Is there any way to perserve their original positioning as in BO ?

Thanks
Samantha

SamanthaH :south_africa: (BOB member since 2004-10-14)

Hi,

If the report only consists of one table or crosstab, it shouldn’t affect the alignment of the columns when saved as text and opened in excel.
Maybe you can give us a general idea of what the report looks like or contains.
When you open the textfile in excel do you use the text import wizzard provided, or do you open the file through windows explorer using the open with … option?

Bazzer :netherlands: (BOB member since 2005-10-18)

When you save to txt, you will loose all the formating.

What do you mean by columns are out of alignment…

another way to save to excel is first save the BO report as HTML and thne use import data in Excel to get the data.

Raja Saripalli :us: (BOB member since 2005-12-14)

Hi

When I said ‘out of alignment’ I meant that the columns did not hold their original positioning as in the BO report ie , no spaces etc to delimit the columns (there were about 5 columns , 3 of which had numerical data in which I wanted to do comparisons with in Excel ) .

I was saving the report as a .txt file and using the Import wizard in Excel to open it (to delimit by columns) .

I have however found a solution , I saved it as rich text which enabled me to open in the import wizard in Excel , without incident .

Thanks for your suggestions ! :slight_smile:

Samantha

SamanthaH :south_africa: (BOB member since 2004-10-14)

Did you check our Reporter FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)?

We have an entry How can I Save/Export to Excel?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)