BusinessObjects Board

Save a big number of reports to a pdf format

Hello,

We are migrated from BO5 to BOXI R2 (yes, we are very late…).
A user told me that he has more than 200 BO5 reports (.rep) on his pc (not in the repository) and he wants to keep the possibility to read this reports even if we delete BO5 of his pc.
So, for me, two solutions :

• we save all this .rep on a pdf format
  • we migrate all this reports from BO5 to BOXI
    I would prefer the first option (he doesn’t need to refresh this reports anymore, he just want to be able to read the files and see the figures he has saved) but have no idea of how to save automaticly all this reports to a pdf format (I don’t want to do it manually, it is too long).
    Have you an idea ?
    Thanks a lot

Emi (BOB member since 2008-06-25)

You could look at doing this with a macro?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Do you mean a macro in BO ?
I am not at ease with the macro language. If somebody has already write this kind of macro, I will be very happy and gratefull to take the code and adapt it to my case
Regards,

Yep :).

Maybe you could look at this from BOB downloads to get started:-

https://bobj-board.org/t/20393

Save yourself the hassle. The simplest thing is to get them uploaded and migrate them. If you don’t want the hassle of converting them to webi you don’t have to. If you want to move away from desktop that’s fine to as you can still view the desktop reports via Infoview.

You can then get the user to save them to PDF at their leisure if they really want to. Either way I don’t see this as your problem :wink:

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

What and clog your system up with a load of uneeded, unused, Deski reports with data :stuck_out_tongue: ?

Simplest thing is to do this via a macro, it shouldn’t be rocket science to get the macro to loop through the directory opening the reports and saving as PDF.
I suspect you could do this with very few lines of VBA code.

If your FRS is clogged up with 200 deski reports…besides they are needed and they are wanted - I would end up putting the PDF files up into the FRS anyway since you would want to keep everything centralised - so who cares about the format - just do what is easiest.

Anyway Emi you now have two options, and you can make an educated choice. Just bear in mind mine is better :yesnod:

Hi DC :wave: ,

:!: They would all have to exported first to be migrated, they are not in the repository.
:!: He wants to keep the data, so you couldn’t purge them, maybe they are based on OLTP.
:!: I suspect migrating the reports complete with data will bring its own set of issues, especially seeing they are version 5 reports.

They seem to be used just by one person, I would archive them elsewhere.

:rotf:

Cheers,

Mark.

It doesn’t matter if they are 5.x. The system being upgraded is 5.x and my logic would be to treat these reports the same as those found on the system. I don’t know whether 5.x will migrate to XIr2 without going via 6.x first. That doesn’t matter and is a different topic but is something needs consideration.

What I would suggest is that users are told that only reports found on the system are being migrated - which is their responsibility - otherwise you could find yourself with a huge task on your hands.

Emi,

Ignore Hinge & Bracket.

You need to consider if the reports need to ever be refreshed again.

If they don’t, then Mak1’s suggestion of the Save as PDF macro is your best bet.

If they do, can they be refreshed - is there a supporting universe for each report?

Before saving to the repository, I’d suggest purging all data sources (AFTER you’ve saved as pdf!)

As an aside, I’d question what all 200 reports are used for. Look at this as an opportunity to simplify what they have.

The reports will not need to be refreshed anymore.
He wants to keep them just to know “at this date, when I have refreshed the report, I had this results”.
So for me, the best solution is to save them on a pdf format (I don’t really want to overcharge the repository with this kind of things).
I am not very at ease with the macro language and have a short delay to handle this question so if I don’t find a good example of macro (very similar of what I have to do), the best solution for me will probably be to save them manually (I will take more time to do the macro than to do the manually save I think).
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions you gave me.
Regards,

Do them all manually if you want, but, I doubt it would that much time to amend this:-

https://bobj-board.org/t/36760

The macro here loops through reports in a directory, opens them and saves them for all users. Using the link I gave above and this one you should be able to put something together.

It’s your call, but how is 200 reports going to overload any system of any worth? Anyway looks like Mak found a macro for you.