BusinessObjects Board

SAP Certified or Business Objects Certified ?

Hi,

I am planning to take the BOCP Certification exams.
My question:
Now as SAP trying to integrate BO products into its line of products
and migrating all the BO website / support site contents into SAP networks,
how is Certification part done?

One will be certified as
“SAP Certified Professional - Crystal Reports” or
“Business Objects Professional - Crystal Reports” ?

It doesn’t matter though, but still want to know.
Has anyone got any idea?

Thanks,
Crys

crysguy (BOB member since 2008-05-13)

SAP is having a hard time to get their ducks in a row. Certification might be the last thing in their minds at this time.

Seriously, certification, any certification, is nothing but a piece of paper for your personal feat. Whether it is issued by BOBJ or by SAP is really irrelevant. Most hiring managers who know their stuffs do not care whatsoever about the certification.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

In my experience - never a truer word said.

IMO the exams are just a case in point of parrot learning rather than real world experience… :slight_smile: .

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Nice analogy - like you learning to pass a driving test doesn’t mean you know how to drive a car!

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

I care to differ. Back in the days when I studied for my my MCSE, CCNA, and BOCP - BOE certifications I learned a lot about what is happening under the hood. Things that I might not have come across for a long time.
The value of certifications also differ greatly, MCSE used to be a premium certification long time ago, Cisco certification was deemed a difficult certification for example, etc. Cisco’s CCIE required a 1-day test conducted in a Cisco lab.

I agree that certification alone is not a sufficient indicator for the knowledge a person has about a product, but all other things being equal, I would hire the person who also has been certified…

Again this very much depends on the quality of the driving test. I took a driving test in Germany, and one in Atlanta, USA… there was a HUGE difference, believe me the German driving test is way more difficult :wink:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Now, I know thats proper certification, I’m all for that, actually… :slight_smile: . I just don’t think the BO stuff is of that quality.

So, no job for me then :stuck_out_tongue: .

So it should be if you are allowed to drive that fast… :mrgreen:

Mark(?); you made my day :rotf: :wink:

Might be going 150 mph on the Autobahn this weekend… vroom… VROOOOOOOOM :twisted:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Yup, thats me… :slight_smile: .

Conversley, we are lucky to reach around the 30 mph mark on our motorways… :roll_eyes: .

I would take a Business Objects developer who has passed the BOCP BOE certification over one who hasn’t, any day.

While the certification isn’t really relevant to BO development, a good understanding of the background workings of the system makes for a much broader, adaptable skillset.

No, the certification isn’t particularly hard, but it’s got enough questions to trip up someone who hasn’t done their homework. It provides a base level of competence.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

We already have a long-running discussion on certification here please use that topic for further discussions, thanks. :slight_smile:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)