BusinessObjects Board

Running a report that has a prompt but leaving prompt blank

Hi,

I thought this would be a commenly asked question but I couldnt find anything on the archieves.

Basically I have a report with two prompts one prompt is Country and one is called Dept Code. In some instances the user only wants to Enter country and report on all Dept codes within this country, in this case they just want to enter Country and leave Dept blank, however the report does not work as the Dept prompt is blank.

Is there anyway they can run the report and leave Dept blank ?

Rich :uk: (BOB member since 2002-10-04)

low tech solution - I have defaulted a space in the prompt when I want the report to have this prompt OR that prompt.

scott copeland (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Rich,

There isn’t straight forward way of doing it.
The way I did it in the past is to create a default lov called ‘NONE’ (which means (NONE=NONE), so always true and the user will select country and leave dept=NONE or vise versa.

Reema

reemagupta (BOB member since 2002-09-18)

Sorry, I just wanted to point out the obvious and make sure it was not being overlooked. Can you not change your prompt to “matches pattern” and allow the user to use “%” wildcards for pulling all depts. Not an ideal solution since you want to leave blank but should produce the desired results.

jswoboda :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I tried that, but it only worked to a point, by changing it to pattern
match and then entering % it worked. However sometimes the users
want to select Dept and enter a value however by using Pattern match it only allows me to select 1 Dept code in the prompt it wont let me select
more than that.

Do you no a way round this ?

Please, look at the FAQ: Designer

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Thanks,

I wanted to try and avoid making changes at the universe level though
and do in the actual report

How did you search? I found these fairly easily…

Optional Document Prompt?
Optional Prompts
Optional prompts / conditions

I searched for “option* prompt” or something like that. I searched all of Bob (in other words, I didn’t limit my search to a particular area). I got about 15 result topics back, some of which were obviously not what I wanted just from the subject line. Anyway, I was just curious as to how you had searched…

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Yes. Here is the code I used on one of my prompts to allow the user to select mulitple values with matches pattern.

@Select(Unbilled Claims\Payor Type - UBC report) IN @Prompt(‘6. Payor Type (ex. Medicare) or % for all:’,‘a’,‘Unbilled Claims\Payor Type - UBC report’,multi,free) OR ‘%’ IN @Prompt(‘6. Payor Type (ex. Medicare) or % for all:’,‘a’,‘Unbilled Claims\Payor Type - UBC report’,multi,free)

Maybe this will get you started, I got the basis for this code off another thread on BOB. I imagine if you do a search on MULTI and FREE you can locate some more information. I looks like a pain but it works very well.

jswoboda :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I searched ‘leaving Prompts blank’ I got 4 results 1 was kind of relevant

:mrgreen:

Did you create the prompt at the Universe level or report ?

General question about prompts, I have experience of adding them to tables as join so if an object is selected that references this table the Prompt appears. How did you implement your Prompt did you create a seperate Object ? specficially for the purpose

Personally I create Condition Objects in the universe.

An example:

DECODE(
lower( @Prompt(‘Responsible Firstname’,‘A’,MONO,FREE) )
, ‘all’
, @Prompt(‘Responsible Firstname’,‘A’,MONO,FREE)
, EDOSRspnsblPerson.FIRSTNAME )
= @Prompt(‘Responsible Firstname’,‘A’,MONO,FREE)

This works.

A downside is that the BO-parser some difficulties with this sollution:

Parse Failed: ORA-00907 : missing right parenthesis

bdebersaques (BOB member since 2003-04-03)

Parse Failed: ORA-00907 : missing right parenthesis

would happen with MULTI-Prompt.

Additionally I have to agree, BO is correct.

It works ok with MONO-Prompts

bdebersaques (BOB member since 2003-04-03)